Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

30th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Arditi

Hi Gents,

I am new to WWI history; having been a WW2 nut for years. I have recently picked up an 88 Commission rifle that is all matching and marked to the 30.RIR on the barrel band. It eventually ended up in Turkish service. My question is this...what is the rough unit history of this particular unit. Major battles...east or west service. Any help greatly appreciated. I am excited to learn more. Best Regards, Arditi(Russ)

Hi, Russ!

RIR 30 was most likely the reserve twin of the 30. (4. rheinisches) Infanterie=Regiment (Graf Werder), which in 1900 was garrisoned in Saarlouis; part of 32. Infanterie=Brigade, HQed in Saarbruecken; part of 16. Infanterie Division, HQed in Treves; part of VIII. Armee=Korps, HQed in Coblenz. It is 95% likely that this disposition was the same in 1914.

In 1914, the IR 30 would have mobilized in a few days after the declaration of war, and a few days later RIR 30 would have marched out, largely or entirely formed of veterans of IR 30 that were in the Reserve (first five years) phase of their reserve duty obligation. It is likely that there was a VIII. Reserve=Korps and that it joined that formation, but it probably went off to a different sector of the war fronts than VIII. Armee=Korps did.

Others may have better sources for where the unit fought during the war. The above info should be of interest to you, as, since your rifle is a Model 88, it probably was sent to RIR 30 well before the war, and may have been replaced with a Model 98 before the war began.

Bob Lembke

Many thanks for the information Bob. What major battles would the 30th have been involved in? Since this is a reserve unit would the transition from 88 to 98 have been earlier or during the war? Can you recommend some English book sources for more Prussian regimental history?

Thanks for your time my friend, Arditi(Russ)

Many thanks for the information Bob.  What major battles would the 30th have been involved in?  Since this is a reserve unit would the transition from 88 to 98 have been earlier or during the war?  Can you recommend some English book sources for more Prussian regimental history? 

Thanks for your time my friend, Arditi(Russ)

Russ;

I do not have good sources for which engagements 30. RIR engaged in. I might be able to find some for the first half of the war. Many major reorganizations of the German Army in mid-war (1916) would make my major source for this fairly useless.

The only specific engagement I know of was RIR 30, supposedly then part of 15. RD, conducting its part in "the pursuit from the Maas to the Marne", specifically an engagement at Le Frensle-Coupeville on 9/4/14. (This is the only specific mention in Die Schlachten und Gefechtedes des Grossen Krieges 1914-1918, p. 24.) Note that the regiment was seemingly part of the 15. RD, not the 16. RD as in 1900, so some reorganization probably happened between 1900 and 1914. Perhaps some forumites with better sources on this might be able to help.

I am no expert in this area, but I would think that their 88's might have been replaced before the war, either put into storage or passed over to lower-quality reserve units, Landwehr oder Landsturm.

There probably was a history of RIR 30, the odds of it being found in English ranges between zero and nil. I will poke about. An original copy will probably cost over $100, if it was written. There is a very small chance that it can be found on CD. But it will be in German and the Fraktur writing system. This is a good opportunity to teach yourself German. I did so, four years ago, at 62. Not impossible; English is, after all, a Germanic language, if the one the most distant from German.

Learn German. You can do it! My wife reads 11 European languages well. (I only have four.) When my father came out of (German) high school and joined der deutsches Heer im 1915 he had German, French, English, Latin, and Classical Greek, plus some Russian he picked up on trips to Russia pre-WW I. He later picked up Spanish. And he was only a bloody Hun.

Bob Lembke

Thanks for the additional information Bob. I would like to find a good book or two, in German, that has the regimental histories in them. Have a good weekend, Russ(Arditi)