Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Second meeting of The Lincs Pals

DaveBrigg

You are all cordially invited to the first gathering of Pals from the Lincs area, to be held on the evening of Friday 11th November from 8.00 pm. Exact venue to be decided after a bit more research, but likely to be an ale house in the Brigg area. Several people have already shown an interest, but I know that there are a number of other forum members from the area, or who are interested in the Lincs Battalions. All welcome.

PM or Email me for details. Maps etc can be provided. I'll post here when everything is settled.

Hope to see you all on the Friday

Dave

Dave,

Shouldn't that be "Chums", not Pals!

Regrettably I will not be able to attend, but hope those that do have an enjoyable meeting.

Jim

Ooops, I stand corrected :unsure: Sorry, it's late here!

You're excused attendance this time, but we'll raise a glass for you. Maybe you'd like to host the next meeting? :D

Dave,

It's great that there's so many people interested in the Regt and the men that served. Have no issues hosting the next meeting, although not sure how many would make it! ;)

Jim

Jim,

No problem for me, just send the ticket.

Dave,

I've mailed you.

Steve.

Dave ,

Would like to attend but unfortunately it clashes with the East Midlands W.F.A.

Branch Meeting when Bryn Hammond is giving a talk on the 8th Lincolns at the Battle of Loos.

Wish you well,

Cliff.

I'm just down the road in Scunthorpe, would love to attend but am helping with a musical evening to raise funds for one of our local charities.

I'll keep my eys open for the next meeting

Tom

Dave ,

Would like to attend but unfortunately it clashes with the East Midlands W.F.A.

Branch Meeting when Bryn Hammond is giving a talk on the 8th Lincolns at the Battle of Loos.

Wish you well,

Cliff.

Thats interesting, I work in Derby, I may see if I can get to this talk on the 11th Nov isnt it? Will check my working rota.

regards

Arm

Meeting Details

RV at 20:00 hrs at the White Horse, Brigg. This is at the East end of the pedestrianised street, near to the War Memorial roundabout. I have been assured by colleagues of mine that it is suitable for a 'quiet' drink on a Friday night.

A map can be found at

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...m=1&scale=10000

(!) There is a little parking in a layby near to the pedestrian crossing lights, just up from the roundabout. Alternatively there is a large free car park signposted from the traffic lights at the crossroads (on your right if coming from Scunthorpe and the A15.) From this car park, head down one of the narrow alleyways between the shops, and turn left when you hit the pedestrianised bit.

I'll be in the bar, with an old carrier bag full of paperwork :D Hope to see you all there.

Dave

Dave

I've been sent to Middlesborough, on the job, of course.

Though, will be back for our foray into the delights of the White Horse, 20:00HRS. I'll bung a few bits together myself, for perusal whilst partaking of the liquid refreshment on offer.

See you in the fullness of time,

Lee :D

If someone can provide me a ticket and a hotel spot, i'll represent Texas  :D  But if not, hoist a pint up for me.

A hotel in Brigg? I can't think of one offhand, though we've probably got more than our fair share of tractors for sale. Not much use I guess.

Anyway, we'll raise a glass of 'Old Peculiar' for you and all our transatlantic cousins. Maybe Jim can join you?

Cheers

Dave

Good luck with your night chums.

If it's half as good as the Black Country Night Out (BCNO) that Roy Evans gets together you will soon be holding regular meets. B)

Raise a glass to the Lincs and have a great meeting.

Cheers Graham,

If this one takes off we'll have to see about a 46th Division reunion :o

Steve.

Minutes of the first meeting of the Lincs Chums

Held on 11th November 2005 at The White Horse

Present: C729LEE, Chris, DaveBrigg, Steve Bramley

Apologies: jim davies, JeremyScott, towisuk, toofatfortakeoff, Cliff Hobson

No minutes were available for previous meetings because there hadn't been any.

Topics discussed included (in no particular order)

Why Hull (East Yorks)is the best place to research Lincs casualties.

How most families in this area are related to each other, and Lee is related to them all.

Medal collecting

Which are the most entertaining threads on the forum.

Where to have a good night out in Munich.

The make up of the various Lincs battalions.

Wilfred Owen

And a toast to those unable to attend (Lee has the pics)

Date of next meeting: Probably some time before Christmas. Everyone present fancied an Indian. *

Meeting ended at 11.30 pm, by which time we had managed to empty both bars and the restaurant.

* note to Jim and Jeremy, this refers to a spicey dish adopted from a former colony, rather than a Native American.:lol:

Yes, I must say it was jolly nice to be able to put a few faces to names.

You can't beat a chin wag with likeminded people over a pint, and as with the Forum, I managed to learn something new - as ever.

We even got one of the local council big-wigs (who I used to play football with) to tell of his interest of WW1 and his visit to the sites of France and Flanders. Something else I learned.

As for the Indian - too much talk and the niff of the local spice house, meant that I could not ignore the rumbles of hunger echoeing from down below. Had to visit - it would have been rude not to.

Here's to the next one, chaps.

Below - four dejected 10th Foot billies after been told there ain't gonna be no lock-in, and drink up. So much for 24 hour bevvying :P

L to R

Chris, Steve, Lee, and Unit Adjutant Dave. My Mrs. hates that T shirt. I know why now :blink:

Enjoyed the evening Chums. I liked talking to Dave as I couldn't understand the other lads accents :P

Have you noticed in the photo' how Chris is making sure that the pub doesn't fall down?

Lee, give me a shout when you fancy nipping to Gy library to have a look at the OCA magazines, i'll come along with you.

Here's to the next meeting, Curry and all!

Steve.

I was there again this morning - the parade passed by the front on its way from the church to the war memorial. You can see below the air cadet band leading the march past.

post-7552-1131929731.jpg

Cheers to meeting all, and a big thanks to Dave for getting the get together organised, top evening, and looking forward to the Indian get together.

Lee, i'll be kind the t shirt looks worse on the photo, and Steve if you look closely you will notice that its the bar supporting me. :D

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Only 31 shopping days til Christmas! Any suggestions of a date for the next mobilisation? The 9th is already out for me. Barton was suggested for the venue which may help Tofatfortakeoff, since he has only to locate the Humber Bridge :P

Again, all welcome. If we can agree this by the end of the month I'll book the table. Bring on the Kingfisher!

Just bringing this up again. 17th/18th/19th Dec any good? (No, not all three)

Dave

Just bringing this up again. 17th/18th/19th Dec any good? (No, not all three)

Dave

Any and all - I'm on me Crimbo hols B)

The curry house at Barton sounds like the ideal spot. (Surma - I think)

Lifts available. I'm off the Lal Toofan and kingfisher at pres :(