Remembered Today:

178 Siege Battery - RGA

susanhemmings

Have just purchased -

will help anyone if I can.

Susan

• 7 years later...

Hi Susan,

According to my sources 2nd Lt Edward Romilly Micklem served in 178 Siege Batt. He was commissioned into the RGA on 27/11/16. He relinquished his commission in Oct 1918 on account of ill-health and was granted the rank of Hon. 2nd Lt.

Please could you see if he appears in any lists or in the index of your book?

Very many thanks,

David

David Thought I would answer as Susan's original post was in 2005. I cannot find him in 178th Siege Battery, RGA but my information indicates he served with 478th Siege Battery, RGA. Below is what I have on him. Regards, Dick Flory

2nd Lieut. Rev. Edward Romilly Micklem, RGA

Born at Brondesbury on 3 July 1892, the third son of Nathaniel Micklem, KC, Northridge, Boxmoor, Herts

Educated at Rugby School from 1906 to 1907; at New College, Oxford (BA, 1916, MA, 1919, BLitt, 1921)

Enlisted (No. 9115) in the Inns of Court OTC on 24 January 1916

Entered Officer Cadet School on 4 August 1916

2nd Lieut., RGA on 26 November 1916

Served with 478 Siege Battery, RGA in France and Belgium during 1917-1918,

Resigned due to ill health in 1918

In 1924 he married Phyllis Winifred, daughter of Herbert Augustus Benham and they had a son, Thomas Caryl Micklem born in 1925

In 1936 he was Chaplain and Lecturer at Mansfield College, Oxford and lived at 17 Norham Road, Oxford

Sources: Who's Who in Oxfordshire; Rugby School Register, Vol. IV, January 1892 to September 1921; Rugby School War Register; The Inns of Court O.T.C. during the Great War; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Dick,

Very many thanks for assisting with this. Your material is very helpful. However, I am puzzled by 478 Siege Battery. It does not appear in the list of siege batteries in The Long Long Trail and I can find no war diary for it in the catalogue at Kew.

Once again, many thanks,

David

David: You are correct that there is no record of 478th Siege Battery in WO 95, but The Oxford University Roll of Service indicates that he served in that battery. It could well be a misprint but I cannot find him mentioned in the unit history of 178th Siege Battery in either the list of officers in the original battery or the list of officers who joined the battery after its formation.

Regards, Dick Flory