Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish House Trenches

Frajohn

Hi

I am trying to find the location of trenches at Irish House.

My Great Uncle was serving with Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry when he was killed 31st March 1915. He is buried in Kemmel Chateau Cemetery.

The war diary states that they took over trenches; G 1.2.3.4.6 H.1.2.3.5 Irish House from 1st Devons on march 27th.

THe only Irish House I can find in the area is west of Wytchaete, the trench map is 1917 from the trench map cd. However this map shows no trenches near the position of Irish House.

I would appreciate any information as to where these trenches were located

Kind regards

John

• 2 months later...
Hi

I am trying to find the location of trenches at Irish House.

My Great Uncle was serving with Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry when he was killed 31st March 1915. He is buried in Kemmel Chateau Cemetery.

The war diary states that they took over trenches; G 1.2.3.4.6 H.1.2.3.5 Irish House from 1st Devons on march 27th.

THe only Irish House I can find in the area is west of Wytchaete, the trench map is 1917 from the trench map cd. However this map shows no trenches near the position of Irish House.

I would appreciate any information as to where these trenches were located

Kind regards

John

If he is buried at Kemmel Chateau, then it is very likely that the trenches were in the area of Irish House west of Wijtschaete(later also Irish House Cemetery, but not in '15) . Kemmel Chateau is roughly 1 mile to the rear of these lines. Maybe someone has a map of Wijtschate - Kemmel '15?

Erwin

If he is buried at Kemmel Chateau, then it is very likely that the trenches were in the area of Irish House west of Wijtschaete(later also Irish House Cemetery, but not in '15) . Kemmel Chateau is roughly 1 mile to the rear of these lines. Maybe someone has a map of Wijtschate - Kemmel '15?

Erwin

The frontline here was practically unchanged (give or take the odd kink) between the end of 1914 and June 1917. There were trenches at Irish House, but they were communication and reserve trenches (such as the the later named "Boardman Trench" that ran parallel to the road that goes past Irish House). The frontline in march 1915 was practically where it was on the April 1917 map that is on the Trenchmap CD.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My apologies to all those who had answered my 'call'.

For some reason, I have not had any notification of your replies. I know it was certainly my fault but I had given up after 5 or 6 weeks.

Your assistance enables me to visit where my Great Uncle was killed next time that I am in the area. For that I thank you.

Kind regards

John

If it is of any interest here are the positions H and J trenches in front of Petit Bois in 2005.

Picture taken about 200 yards in front of Irish House (the farm is still next to the Cemetery)

post-4619-1142080613.jpg

...and this is the modern view from trench "G5" (Boardman Trench) towards Wijtschaete showing the G sector. (G2 and G3 lay approxomately where the dark field turns to light in the middle of the picture. The farm building to the centre right of the picture was practically on the German frontline ("Peckham")

Dave.

post-357-1142108229.jpg

• 2 weeks later...