Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Glamorgans

welshdoc

A little bit of history to this one Postmarked Dorchester 2 AUg 1915 and the Glamorgans Welsh Rg. Battallion?)?were with the 2nd Battallion South Wales Borderers

post-8435-1130267150.jpg

I think the Glamorgans may refer to the 1/6th Welch (or is it Welch) the Glamorgan Territorial Regiment, the first Welch Territorials to go to France on 29 October 1914.

If I am right, I'm v interested as my grandfather was the commanding officer! In August 1915 the 6th Welch were part of the 28th Division, 84th Brigade and were doing trench work around Kemmel/Locre - the Black Redoubt appears in the diary frequently. At the end of September they went up the line and went into the Battle of Loos on 1st October in support of the 1st Welch's attack on Little Willie Trench. My grandfather was killed on the 2nd.

I was at the 90th anniversary commemorations at Loos a few weeks ago and I was so glad to see that Loos is not a forgotten battle.

Moriaty

PS is there anything else of interest on the reverse of the postcard???

I think the Glamorgans may refer to the 1/6th Welch (or is it Welch) the Glamorgan Territorial Regiment,  the first Welch Territorials to go to France on 29 October 1914. 

If I am right, I'm v interested as my grandfather was the commanding officer!  In August 1915 the 6th Welch were part of the 28th Division, 84th Brigade and were doing trench work around Kemmel/Locre - the Black Redoubt appears in the diary frequently.  At the end of September they went up the line and went into the Battle of Loos on 1st October in support of the 1st Welch's attack on Little Willie Trench.  My grandfather was killed on the 2nd.

I was at the 90th anniversary commemorations at Loos a few weeks ago and I was so glad to see that Loos is not a forgotten battle.

Moriaty

PS is there anything else of interest on the reverse of the postcard???

Hi Moriaty unforunately the back of the card is difficult to read so apart from the postdates and a few odd words nothing more of interest. I cant even identify the sender as it was apparently from a family friend at the time. IM sorry you never had the chance to meet your grandfather Im sure he was a fine man. Of the family I know about my grandfather was in the Welsh I understand as a stretcher bearer was wounded and later jioned the MGC he survived only to go back down the pits . I was about 5 when he died but at least I had a short time to know him.

Gareth

Thanks for your reply Gareth, having read letters and diaries and been to some of the places where my grandfather lived, worked and visited where he fought and died and is buried I feel I do now know him, if he had lived I think he would have been a terrific and very indulgent grandfather!

Moriaty