Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5th Camerons at Loos

Simon Jones

I am putting together some details of the uniform and equipment which the 5th (Service) Battalion QO Cameron Highlanders wore at Loos on 25 September 1915.

Can anyone help with:

Whether they had P1908 webbing or P1914 Leather equipment?

I assume they wore boots, short puttees and khaki woollen hosetops. What colour were the garter tabs, which I believe are called touries?

Did they definitely wear kilt covers – some Somme photos show highlanders without them?

Does anyone have access to battalion brigade or divisional orders before Loos as to equipment carried, i.e. two bandoliers of SAA, two sandbags under the belt etc. (I will be checking the War Diaries in due course)?

Is there any suggestion of a scheme of battle patches adopted at that stage or specifically for the attack?

Answers to these questions and any other observations gratefully received.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon,

I have been digging round trying to pull some answers for you and am in The History of the Cameronians (Lowland I know) but they were well represented in action at Loos by 1st, 2nd, 5th, 9th and 10th battalion I will try and get some more positive info. If it is any help I noticed the Snaffles print of Bonnie Blue Bonnets painted in 1915 where the piper was not wearing a kilt cover.

Cheers,

Rob

Simon,

I'm sorry I can't be any more help than this but a tourie is the "pom pom" worn on headgear.

I've been putting off posting this hoping someone with a bit more positive info aswell pointed it out.

Roger.

Simon,

As we all appear to be willing you on in this quest and coming up with well lets face it not a lot!

Have you tried the RHQ of what the Camerons have morphed into which I think is The Highlanders, they were at one stage the Queens Own Highlanders I think if memory is correct their RHQ was in Inverness.

Good luck I am still looking.

Rob

Rob & Roger

Very many thanks for your efforts. I will bear in mind The Highlanders.

Regards

Simon

Rob & Roger

Very many thanks for your efforts. I will bear in mind The Highlanders.

Regards

Simon

Your welcome Simon, I wish we could've been more help. I think the museum is your best bet for photo's of the 5/Camerons. I haven't stopped looking yet though :) .

Roger

Something nags at me that the 5th Cameron's were rasied by Cameron of Lochiel, and as such wore his tartan, rather than Cameron of Erracht as was worn by the other Bns of the regt. Lochiel is a much redder tartan than the Erracht.

Suggest you check this out with the Highlanders Museum, and i do apologise if i got it totally wrong.

You might also check headgear, as they probably wore the T o S, but may have still worn the glengarry (though this is unlikely). In addition, remember that many Scottish units were wearing the normal SD jacket as opposed to the cut-away Scottish version (due to supply difficulties - not a Sassenach plot!).

Hope this helps, and again, sorry if I have been chasing red herrings.