Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Salient Map

TheyCalleditPassiondale

Recently I saw a map at the Hotel Palace in Poperinge covering the hole Ypres Salient, from about Steenstrate (N) through Ploegsteert (S)

The map not only shows locations of trenches but also the names of most of all the important places (farms, cott. etc).

The map is about 60 to 80 cm large.

Maybe the map originaly was used as an add-in with the book "The Immortal Salient" written by Beatrice Brice en General Pulteney (not "The Battle Book of Ypres);

Can anyone give me more information were I can find it.

As I live in Ypres, I would be very pleased to have it.

Thanks, <_<

I think you will find it is probably the Ypres League map of the Salient, published in the 20s. I haven't seen an original around for a long while, but I believe the Western Front Asssociation used to sell black and white copies of it.

• 1 month later...

I bought a copie of the Ypres League Map, but it is not the same as I have seen in the Palace Hotel in Poperinge.

Can anyone give me further info ? I would be much obliged.

Nick :(

The map is about 60 to 80 cm large.

Maybe the map originaly was used as an add-in with the book "The Immortal Salient" written by Beatrice Brice en General Pulteney (not "The Battle Book of Ypres);

Can anyone give me more information were I can find it.

As I live in Ypres, I would be very pleased to have it.

Thanks, <_<

This looks like "The Ypres Salient" from the book you mention.

Scale 1:40.000

Top right corner Parts of 19, 20, 27, 26, 36, 36A.

It shows (encircled) numbers corresponding to the CWGC cemeteries listed in the book.

I have some photocopied fragments, but something that might interest you : I happen to have used the map and the book in the Ypres Documentation Centre last Wednesday. But maybe "where I can find it" means that you would like to buy it ?

Aurel

• 2 weeks later...

All right guy's.

Yesterday I checked the mentioned map at the Hotel Palace with the "Ypres League Map" I ordered.

I have to tell that it is the same map except for the quality of printing.

When I'll drive on the Menin Road, I'll stop at the shop at Sanctuary Wood and buy me another one. Maybe, the quality there is better.

Thanks for all the information. ;)

The League Map was still available from the WFA the last time I looked.