Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st lincolns war diaries

andy 1

i've just been looking at the 1st lincolns war diaries that are online at the national archives.

i notice they only go up to the end of 1915.

does anyone know if they have them for 1916,is it a case of waiting for them to be put online.or am i right in thinking that the ones for 1916 went missing from the battalion archives in the late 60's or early 70's.

andy

I've not checked out which War Diaries are on line, but perhaps the reason that 1st Lincs ends at the end of 1915 is that they were transferred from 9th Bde 3rd Div to 62nd Bde 21st Div on 14/11/15. So probably a case of waiting (different division means filed in a different range of records).

Having re-read that, I could have explained it better! ;) If they are online its probably because TNA have uploaded 3rd Div's War Diaries. 21st Div's War Diaries may not appear for some time. But the absence of 1st Lincs should just mean that the later diary is filed in the range that contains 21st Div's War Diaries

• 6 months later...
i've just been looking at the 1st lincolns war diaries that are online at the national archives.

i notice they only go up to the end of 1915.

does anyone know if they have them for 1916,is it a case of waiting for them to be put online.or am i right in thinking that the ones for 1916 went missing from the battalion archives in the late 60's or early 70's.

andy

Hi Andy ... My first post on here ....so apologies if it's in the wrong place ...truth is you live in lincs and I see your interests are including 1st Lincs Regt. I have been trying to find out more about other halfs grandfather who was in 1st Lincs Regt.

Pte John Reynolds. born 1881 Oundle ( well Thurning) KIA 1/11/1914 ARMY SERVICE NO. 6021. I think he sailed for Le Havre in Aug 1914. I have some medals but as he was killed 4 months before the birth of his daughter Gladys Reynolds we know precious little about him . Mack from roots chat advised me to try here. I have photos of My JR that look like he was in south Africa or india and as I cant find him on 1901 census ( I have him on 1891 living with his father thomas and mother Louise and various siblings) I thought he may have servedin one or both of those places. Trouble is ... the army number refers to his re enlistment in 1913 whilst he lived at Southrow ( Southry) near Bardney, Lincs

I do not know for sure which regt he was with the first time he joined up but have to start somewhere and so if I presume he was with the 1st Lincs the first time , can you or anyone else check the qsa or ksa medal rolls to see if he was there . I know there is a medal of this kind in the regt museum for a john reynolds .... but it hasnt a number ...so could it be my JR ? Thanks for taking the time to read this ...any help would be so appreciated .. Cheers

Polly

Hi Polly,

Welcome to the forum.

I have some (numbered) pre-war lists of the 1st and 2nd Lincs Battalions (1912 and 1913). There is a J.Reynolds on the list for 1913 but his number is 8567 and he's in the 2nd Batn, who were in Bermuda at the time.

There are four other Reynolds on the list,

W. and C in the 1st Batn and S and H in the 2nd, relations perhaps?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Polly,

Welcome to the forum.

I have some (numbered) pre-war lists of the 1st and 2nd Lincs Battalions (1912 and 1913). There is a J.Reynolds on the list for 1913 but his number is 8567 and he's in the 2nd Batn, who were in Bermuda at the time.

There are four other Reynolds on the list,

W. and C in the 1st Batn and S and H in the 2nd, relations perhaps?

Regards,

Steve

Looks like an "oops " there ... Thanks Steve

The J Reynolds on the list for 1913, number 8567, sounded a possibility ... though I need to know the dates for the 2nd Battn posting to Bermuda as my John Reynolds was getting married in Leadenham Parish Church on Jan 11th 1913! What do you think?

hi polly.

have you tried looking on the commonwealth war graves commision website,use the search button when your on there.

i found him there it says he was 1st battalion,his name is on the menin gate memorial.

sdgw has him as 1st batalion as well.i see his name is also on the medal index cards this only shows him as being in the lincolnshire regiment.

it looks like your man was killed in the battle for wytschaete,when the 1st lincolns had to attack the village of wytschaete.there were 292 other ordinary ranks killed,wounded or missing from the lincolns on the 1/11/1916.

thats all i can find for now polly,but i'll keep looking and if i find anything i'll let you know.

regards

andy