Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE BULL RING

Guest Ian Topham

Guest Ian Topham

Can any one recommend a book that details specifically the occurences at Etaples during the mutiny.

Why? when? how?, what units etc.

Ian ;)

I think Julian Putkowski did a little book on the Bull Ring, but I don't have the details to hand... there were not specific units involved in the mutiny (which was more of a 'disturbance' than a full scale mutiny as in the French Army), except the units which were brought in to quell the rioting... which from memory included at least one cavalry regiment and the Manchester Pals from 7th Division.

From memory it was the 21st Bn - a detachment, and not the whole battalion I think, was sent to Etaples in September 1917 to quell the riots. I believe I came across this in Staff diaries, but off hand not sure which ones. Maybe it is mentioned in the bn war diary?

For info, no mention of this in Bonner's history of the 21st. Just mentions the Bn was at Le Nieppe from 5/9 to 15/9 when it went into training around Moringhem.

John

Just found the details of the book(s) etc I hinted at:

Gill, D. & Putkowsli, J. 'The British Base Camp at Etaples' (Museum Quentovic of Etaples, France c.1999/2000) - I got my copy at the museum, which is in the centre of Etaples.

Other useful sources are:

Gill, D. & Dallas, G. 'Mutiny at Etaples Base in 1917', Past & present, 69, Oxford, 1975.

Gill, D. & Dallas, G. 'The Unknown Army' (Verso, London, 1985)

Putkowski, J. 'Toplis, Etaples and the Monocled Mutineer', Stand To!, 18, Winter 1986.

None of the wartime buildings are left, but I have found the remains of training grounds with barbed wire picquets etc still in situ - some of them in the dunes opposite where the cemetery is now. There is a good map of Etaples in the article by Julian Putkowski in the back issue of Stand To! which clearly shows the location of all the camps and training areas etc in relation to the cemetery.

In the museum is a large amount of material dug up on the sites of where the camps were.

• 16 years later...
On 12/08/2003 at 18:09, Paul Reed said:

Just found the details of the book(s) etc I hinted at:

Gill, D. & Putkowsli, J. 'The British Base Camp at Etaples' (Museum Quentovic of Etaples, France c.1999/2000) - I got my copy at the museum, which is in the centre of Etaples.

Instead of writing a new one, I'd better resurrect this thread with my question: is there some way to still find this book??? The museum is closed now (nothing to do with Corona if I understood right) and it's not on amazon and the likes... 

In English or French is fine... 

Thanks

Marilyne

Marilyne,

There's a copy for sale here:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=British+Base+Camp+at+Etaples&kn=&isbn=

Seems to be dual English and French.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin.

Could anybody eventually share a copy of the article Gill, D. & Dallas, G. 'Mutiny at Etaples Base in 1917', Past & present, 69, Oxford, 1975. ???

I found a possibility on Oxford Academic… but they ask 27€ to read the article???

M.