Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can any pal identify this?

Guest steveprole

Guest steveprole

I have just spent a wonderful couple of days walking on the battlefields on the Somme, whilst we were at Serre an old man gave us the below, his English was better than my French (ashamed to say...) but was pigeon at best - the summary of our conversation was that this is a souvenier from the great war from a French friend. I read and respect the varying views of finding and bringing home relics but I am not fluent enough or knowledgable enough to know what I have been given or if it would offend anyone in having it... Any advice would be gratefully received. It is just under 2 foot in length and at the "muzzle" end 2 inches in diameter.

Cheers guys.

post-8475-1130172340.jpg

Steve

Welcome to the Forum

You need to resize your image down. It did not load for me and I suspect it is too big.

You will find advice on all of this under 'help' above

Martin

Guest steveprole

Thank you Martin - I'll try this before I get my Smle, attach a 1907 and scream maniacally while wielding it at my pc and my own pc incompetency!

Thanks again,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for emailing the picture which is below. It is the tail from a British 2 inch 'Toffee Apple' mortar shell. This is the long piece which fitted in the barrel of the mortar itself to stabilize the mortar shell in flight as well as provide a launching method. The 2 inch Toffee Apple was the standard British mortar from 1915 to Autumn 1916 before the Stokes became the weapon of choice. There are apparently many incidents of the tail being jettisoned on launching and traveling back at the British who fired it - not a pleasant experience I should imagine.

There has been quite a lot of previous discussion on Toffee Apples on the forum - a search for these words should bring up much to interest you. Attached below are a couple of pics of a 2 inch I have in my collection ( pictured next to a Mills for scale).

post-569-1130447094.jpg