The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Indian Army Graves

chrisharley9

This may be of interest to members.

Are these the lost graves on the POW Memorial at Neuve Chappelle

Click here

All the Best

Chris

This cemetery is Zehrensdorf Indian Cemetery and it has been reinstated in CWGC's list.

The names have been inscribed on the Neuve-Chapelle (Zehrensdorf Indian Cemetery) Memorial up to now but have been transferred back to the burial site now that it is back in CWGC care.

Terry,

thats good to hear, can we assume that in time it will be become like 'all other' CWGC Cemetries in appearance?

Scottie.

Scottie

It already has, I believe. Here is part of the text of the cemetery description which will appear on the CWGC website when it is next updated....

"Zehrensdorf Indian Cemetery contains the graves of 206 soldiers and sailors of the forces of undivided India who died during the First World War at a prisoner-of-war camp three miles away at Zossen.

From the end of the Second World War to the early 1990’s the land on which the cemetery is located was occupied by Russian forces for training purposes. As the Commission was unable to maintain the cemetery during this period, the casualties buried here were instead commemorated by name on special panels erected at the Indian memorial at Neuve-Chapelle in France.

Following the re-unification of Germany in 1990 the Commission began the restoration of the cemetery which was completed in 2005."

Terry,

thank you for the update, the CWGC excellent work continues, well done to all and keep it up, your efforts are very much appreciated,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Terry

thanks for the confirmation - great news that these lads have been brought back into the care of the CWGC

All The Best

Chris

A really interesting thread this one!

Thanks to all for enlightening me.

Its good to know that they can finally rest in peace.

Fred

I'm really pleased to hear this news.

Terry,

Can you confirm whether the memorial plaque listing the names at the Indian Memorial has actually aslready been removed now that the graves at Zehrensdorf have been "rediscovered" - or is that yet to happen?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

thank you for the update, the location looks impressive and the Boer War article is any interesting development,

regards,

Scottie.

Re the Boer War graves..

CWGC is permitted to care for Non-World War graves on an agency basis under contract from a reputable authority (in this case MoD). This is what they intend to do in South Africa - no doubt spurred on by press reports of grave robbing etc.

They do not, of course, become official Commonwealth War Graves as a result as this status can only be applied to WW1 & WW2 graves in accordance with CWGC's Royal Charter and they remain the responsibility ultimately of MoD.

However, it does give the graves a much more secure future.

Terry,

Many thanks for the update on the memorial plaque at Neuve Chapelle.

Alan

Terry

thanks for the update - the Indian graveyard looks like a wonderfully beautiful rural location

All The Best

Chris

Terry do they have to remove the plaque at Neuville Chapelle? Which I really think is at La Bombe. Obviously there would be 2 commemorations but so what? Many more people will visit there and remember these men.

Paul

Only one commemoration is permitted (equality for all) but there will be no rush to remove the memorial as far as I am aware. Once the names were 'moved' in the official list, the memorial technically ceased to exist.

The physical memorial is doing no harm but will, no doubt, be recycled eventually (I seem to remember that it takes the form of a large brass plaque).

Other memorials have been replaced in the past but I cannot remember one being replaced for the same reason as this one.

However, there is another potential candidate which matches this example. The Brookwood (Russia) Memorial was erected to carry the names of those buried in the Soviet Union whose graves CWGC could no longer maintain. Once the Soviet Union collapsed CWGC was unexpectedly able to return and restore the graves.

These casualties in Russia are now once again cared for and their names 'removed' from the memorial. On this occasion the memorial is still officially in existence as there are a handful of casualties who could not be found when CWGC returned and so the memorial remains their commemoration place. Should they ever be located, this memorial will also become redundant and could be reused.