Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16 Batt The Canadian Scottish

Rodger

Busy Bee I show your uncle #2129064 as enlisting at the 1st Depot BN Man. Regt on 9-1-18 and Regimental Record with the !6th as France, 20-9-18 to 19-1-19 then SOS, 3-4-19, hope this helps, Rodger

Thanks, Rodger! Assume !6th is 16th?

K

No offense to your family, however, it is a maze at the Archives in Canada and the people we recommend have either just retired from there or have spend a lot of time there. It is money very well spent to have an expert do the searching - it is what they do best.

Also, before you come over to the CEF Study Group for specific research, seriously consider spending some time with the "Research" feature of the Great War Forum - it is a "treasure-trove" of information. Far too many people limit their actions to following the popular topics "on the surface" and can miss some of the smaller, more detailed postings buried below.

No offense to your family, however, it is a maze at the Archives in Canada

Thanks, I'll let you know. I'm in no rush. She may be disorganized, but has been to the archives a few times!

Also, before you come over to the CEF Study Group for specific research, seriously consider spending some time with the "Research" feature of the Great War Forum -

It is a great resource. I read the entire listing (and links) before I made my introductions. I exhausted all the resources listed (NA, CWGC, medal rolls, despatches in the London Gazette etc) before asking any questions. ;) Sadly, not much to find there. Thanks again for the pointers.

Figured it out. My mom gave me copies of Joe's full military file. After arrival in France, he was with the 16th Battalion, then 11th Reserve. He was also in hospital with influenza. It's interesting to read his medical chart! I'm still deciphering some of the pages (lots of abbrevs and loopy handwriting). The reference by my family members to Seaforth Highlanders is an error. His record lists Seaford several times (location of the Manitoba Regimental Depot) and I think the name stuck in my mother's or aunt's head when looking up regiments. Thanks again, Rodger!