Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cannock Chase German Cemetery

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

I am heading 'Norf' to Manchester this Wednesday and have always wanted to visit the German Cemetery at Cannock Chase, could one of you kind souls please give me directions to it? also any particular info on graves of interest would be appreciated.

thanking you in anticipation,

Scottie.

Kath,

thank you for this site, let me know what grave you are interested in and I will try to capture an image,

Regards,

Scottie.

WIESE, Civilian, PAUL, German Civilian. 9th March 1915.

Block 17, Grave 278.

Thanks, Scottie.

Kath.

No problem (hopefully) Do you know the story behind this death, the Civilian bit sounds unusual?

regards,

Scottie.

He was one of the "aliens" interned on HMT Royal Edward at Southend on Sea.

I contacted his granddaughter some time ago. She does not yet know of his final grave. I'll send details to her with pic. if you can manage it.

Kath.

Kath,

was unaware of this ship/place at Southend and would like to know more in due course, i will endeavour to get the photo, it seems a 'noble cause',

Regards,

Scottie.

Kath,

If for any reason Cockney Tone can't make it I don't live too far from the Chase (8 mile ish) :huh:

I will try and do it for you if all else fails B)

Remember that there are also a large number of Germans buried in Cannock Chase War Cemetery not far away from Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery.

Terry,

not being familier with the area would it be easy for a 'stranger' to find both locations?

Regards,

Scottie.

Tone what a shame its not far from me we could have gone together but am doing one of my rare full days of work on Wed. If you fancy another trip anytime let me know. Also well worth a visit in this area (within 40 mile readius is the National memorial Arboretum now becoming very well establishes and with multiple interesting memorial gardens and artefacts. Did you get directions ok?Cheers SG (Brum)

Terry,

not being familier with the area would it be easy for a 'stranger' to find both locations?

Regards,

Scottie.

Very easy, Scottie. To get to the German Cemetery you have to pass the British Cemetery. They're both on the same bit of road.

Tom

Scottie,

if you use Google Earth here is a file for Cannock Chase.

just change it from Cannock Chase.doc to Cannock Chase.kmz and import it into Google Earth.

Peter

Interesting links here;

http://home.arcor.de/kriegsgefangene/cemet...nock_chase.html

http://www.worldwar1.nl/cannock/cannock.html

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walksa/wa023.shtml

The last link has a link to an outline route map of a 'war walk' around the chase. This map shows the locations of the cemetries

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...t.x=7&left.y=93

This is the rather poor multi map page. The cemeteries are marked by the two P for parking signs. It is opposite the Springsdale Pub (which is actualy a Cafe. No beer sold :o )

EDIT: If using M6 leave at junction 11 follow signs Cannock, you should see a very tall GPO tower in the distance at Pye Green, head for town centre.

At Island in centre turn left, next mini island straight on. About 200 yards turn right Pye Green Rd. Follow Rd arrow straight. The GPO tower is now getting bigger. Keep heading to it. Make a left turn at a crossroads. The GPO tower is now on your right at the roadside. Continue to Crossroads, straight on and the cemetries are off to the right. Cafe is a little further to the left.

Good luck

Hello,

If anyone is near to Cannock and could photograph the graves of two German Soldiers, it would be much appreciated:

Vinzenz Jager : Block 3 Row D Grave 20

Josef Grassl : Block 12 Row 8 Grave 254

Regards

David

post-1106-1130168648.jpg

David,

great photo's, i will try to snap their graves for you.

Graham,

thanks for the links and directions.

Peter,

still having trouble getting the Google Earthstuff!!!!!!!!!!!! but will keep trying.

SG,

Chris,

Glad to see you are doing a days real work again on wednesday, if not before see you at the November meet?

Tom,

thanks for the info on the CWGC

Regards and thank you all once again,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Cockney Tone,

If the 'wheel comes off' let me know by PM and I will do my best to sort the above requests.

Best laid plans and all that sods law stuff eh :rolleyes:

Graham,

you have obviously heard about my car and my driving ability!!!!!!!!!!!

I am actually taking my son up to Old trafford to cheer on the 'mighty Barnet' when they thrash United in the Carling Cup! (Well if you don't have a dream, how will you have a dream come true?)

I have told my son that a trip to Cannock Chase will help his GCSE History project!

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie,

Ahhhh, the old GCSE project ploy eh! (In a Wogan voice) :lol:

C/Chase does have a lot of military history as you may have seen from the links I posted.

Perhaps the Katyn memorial which is close by will also inspire your sons work?

Another link sorry mate. ;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_Massacre

Have a great trip I will keep my fingers crossed for a reliable car and camera moment.......As for might Barnet? Lets hope that they just play to their best and don't 'freeze' ( I will look for the result with interest)

Enjoy your day mate and kind regards to your son.

Graham,

must admit to using the old GCSE trick before when my son and I spent a nice couple of days visiting the Somme and Ypres, all joking apart history is his best subject.

Thanks for the Katyn info, I had a quick look at the link and will have to go back to it when i return from Manchester as i was unaware of the extent of this outrage.

As you would expect we travel there more in 'hope than expectation' but as it is half term i thought it a good excuse for a 'Scottie Boyz' trip, we are staying over as well so will be making the most of it.

Cheers,

Scottie.

Scottie,

Gutted for your team :angry:

What a desicion by the ref to send off your Goalie, have they no feelings for the players in such a big game for them.

It would appear to have screwed up all Barnets plans as they had little chance after that. Grrrrrrrrrrrr Yes we all know its the laws of the game but come on this was the biggest night ever for some players. To appear before 46K fans and get sent off or substituted without kicking a ball is terrible.

I'm a bit reluctant to ask if you and your lad had a good day :(

Hope the Cannock Chase part of your jolly went a bit better than the match.

P.S. If you got the refs car number give it me I will sort him :ph34r: (That's a joke for readers of another thread on these boards)

Graham,

well despite the over zealous ref with no heart and being down to 10 men after 90 secs and 1 nil down after 120 secs would you believe we had a tremendous evening and to score a goal was just fantastic. we really enjoyed ourselves and I could not believe the support that the Bee's had, they sung their little hearts out all evening, all 4,000+ and put the United fans to shame, I think Roy Keane has a point about the home fans not creating an atmosphere at Old Trafford anymore.

I am glad to say that after being rained off Wednesday afternoon we got to Cannock Chase today and accompanied by Tom Morgan (who graciuosly put himself at our disposal, thank you Tom) visited the German & British Cemeteries and took the promised snaps (Pal's, I will download and post asap, but IT not my strong point) I had wanted to visit the German site for years and I found it very impressive and not quite as 'bleak' as the ones i have visited on the Western Front.

We also visited the Katyn Memorial, thank you for letting me know about it, I will be looking at the websites you posted again later. We were lucky with the weather and the the sun on the trees and landscape looked stunning in their autumn colours. It is an area I was impressed with and will hopefully return to and spend more time.

So despite the score and the 'journey from hell' on the way up there the Scottie Boyz had a great trip, and the treats continue for my son as he has just been given a last minute ticket to see The Kaiser Chiefs (some kind of pop group I think) at Brixton tonight.

thanks once again for your 'links'

regards,

Scottie.

kath & David,

managed to get the shots you requested but cannot at present seem to work out how to post them, if you don't mind could you PM me with your e-mail address's and i will send them that way (I know how to do that)

There seems to be a problem wuith the size of the picture i want to post?

regards,

Scottie.