Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monmouthshire regiment

Guest nicky higginson

Guest nicky higginson

Hi everyone I'm new to this and would appreciate any help or advice I'm tracing my family tree and have located my grandads medal roll. I knew that he was in the Monmouth and the Cheshire Regiment and the roll confirm this and gives 4 different regiment numbers. I want to find out which battalion he was in with the aim of finding out where he saw active service. Can anyone tell me what the regiment numbers refer to and how I can reference them to a batallion?

Hi Nicky and welcome to the forum.

Give me the details you have already and I will have a look on my database for you. I only have details of 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment but if he is there I will let you know what else I may have that could be of interest to you.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Nicky

I am away now for two weeks. If you don't get any joy from others on this forum then please leave me the details and I will check them out for you when I return.

Regards

Martyn

Guest nicky higginson
Hi Nicky,

If you post his numbers I will be able to tell you if he is a 2nd Monmouthshire man.

All the best

David

Hi David

Thanks for taking the time to reply the numbers are 4272, 15918, and 267799. I'm new to this - any suggestions as to where i can find more information would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Nicky

Guest nicky higginson
Hi Nicky

I am away now for two weeks. If you don't get any joy from others on this forum then please leave me the details and I will check them out for you when I return.

Regards

Martyn

HI Martyn

The regiment numbers are 4272, 15918 and 267799 thanks for taking the time to reply i look forward to hearing from you

All the best

Nicky

Hi Nicky

All his numbers are Monmouthshire Numbers.

The 267799 is a 2nd Battalion number for David Powell. From my database I can see the a lot of men with a similar number were transferred from the 3rd Battalion. So the 4272 number is probably a 3rd Battalion number. He would have probably gone into the 2nd Battalion during August 1916.

I hope this is of help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nicky,

Unfortunately I don't have any details of anyone with any of those service numbers on my database. My own list is not yet a definitive list as I am still compiling it.

But if David has stated that men with a similar number were transferred from the 3rd Battalion in 1916 then I think it is correct.

I do have some details of movements etc of the 3rd Battalion from Aug 1914 to their disbandment in Aug 1916 and if you are interested I can send them to you. Just let me know ok

Regards

Martyn

Guest nicky higginson
Hi Nicky

The 267799 is a 2nd Battalion number for David Powell.  From my database I can see the a lot of men with a similar number were transferred from the 3rd Battalion. So the 4272 number is probably a 3rd Battalion number. He would have probably gone into the 2nd Battalion during August 1916.

I hope this is of help.

Thanks very much for the information. As my Grandad David Morgan was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory medal do you think he was in the 1st line 2nd. battalion serving in France in 1916.

Regards Nicky

Guest nicky higginson
Hello Nicky,

Unfortunately I don't have any details of anyone with any of those service numbers on my database. My own list is not yet a definitive list as I am still compiling it.

But if David has stated that men with a similar number were transferred from the 3rd Battalion in 1916 then I think it is correct.

I do have some details of movements etc of the 3rd Battalion from Aug 1914 to their disbandment in Aug 1916 and if you are interested I can send them to you. Just let me know ok

Regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Yes please any information you have would be great.

Regards

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

I have PM'd the info to you. I hope it is of some use to you. If I can help any further please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Martyn

Guest nicky higginson
Hi Nicky,

I have PM'd the info to you. I hope it is of some use to you. If I can help any further please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Thank you so much for sending this to me, it's really appreciated. I found it fasinating, I'm getting hooked on the subject now and am making enquires at National Archives hopefully will find out more about my Grandad's army service. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

You're very welcome. Please let me know the details you find out if you do get to the NA before me. I would be very interested and would like to add his details to my database.

Any further info just mail me.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Nicky

The 267799 is a 2nd Battalion number for David Powell.  From my database I can see the a lot of men with a similar number were transferred from the 3rd Battalion. So the 4272 number is probably a 3rd Battalion number. He would have probably gone into the 2nd Battalion during August 1916.

I hope this is of help.

Hi Ive a Monmouth pair to 265705 TJ Long but he also was in the SWB with the same number. Why did he keep his Mon's number when other internal transfers changed theirs? Gareth

Hi Gareth

Why do you think Thomas John Long was in the SWB?

On his MIC it is only Monmouthshire Regiment and on the medal roll it is only the Monmouthshire Regiment.

All the best

David

Hi Gareth

Why do you think Thomas John Long was in the SWB?

On his MIC it is only Monmouthshire Regiment and on the medal roll it is only the  Monmouthshire Regiment.

All the best

David

Hi David cos

Description Medal card of Long, Thomas John

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Wales Borderers 265705 Lance Corporal

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/12

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Langley P A - McGrath D

Do you think the Nat archives are wrong? gareth