Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Galipoli for the first time

delta

I have the chance to visit the Dardenelles next Autumn, for the first time. Could a kind Pal point me in the direction of some useful sites / info for a group travelling to that area

Thanx in advance :)

To my knowledge there are many tours in autumn.

Two that I know have organised tours in September are :

1. The Gallipoli Association (www.gallipoli-association.org)

2. Len Sellers (Jonathan Saunders or Martin & Kate Wills-also forum members) do have his details.

eric

To my knowledge there are many tours in autumn.

Two that I know have organised tours in September are :

1. The Gallipoli Association (www.gallipoli-association.org)

2. Len Sellers (Jonathan Saunders or Martin & Kate Wills-also forum members) do have his details.

eric

I read it that Delta is part of a group that is travelling to Gallipoli - otherwise happy to put him in contact with Len but I believe the May trip is almost fully booked.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

If you are into organising your own trips then the Gallipoli experience is fairly straightforward. We went in October this year and flew to Istanbul, picked up a car at the airport and drove south to the peninsular. We opted to stay on the Asiatic side as the hotels are better! Crossed the Dardanelles each day and had the place to ourselves. The drive is OK, although I got stopped in a speed trap and fined £25!! The only dodgy bit is getting back to the airport once you arrive in Istanbul. The two lane carriageway had cars 4 abreast most of the way! Apart from that the road south is good and at that time of year little if any traffic for most of the way. you have the freedom to go where you like and we also visited the site of another big battle - Troy.

Thanks for all the info so far, I am thinking of travelling infrom Izmir and staying at Kannakale (as you suggests). Hopefully we shall be able to use hired minibuses to get to/from the airport and also on the penisula.

What I would really like to do if hire a boat to see the scenes of the naval actiosn as well as the landing sites (from the sea). Has anyone tired this and, if so, how easy was it?

What I would really like to do if hire a boat to see the scenes of the naval actiosn as well as the landing sites (from the sea).  Has anyone tired this and, if so, how easy was it?

When you say Autumn you mean from October onwards? All I can say is it was a bit choppy in early September and I wouldnt recommend it later in the year. Eric might be able to expand on this.

While I was at Anzac in October I watched a boat offshore obviously doing the 'rounds' of the landing beaches. Small cruiser thing with about 5 people on board. Headed off towards Suvla after a while. don't know where it came from but probably Cannakale (spelling?)

We hired a boat in Saddel Bhair, Errol who has a hotel on the hill sorted it out for us and it wasn't too expensive IIRC.

Mandy