Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries North & South irish Horse

Armoured Farmer

Simon

The numbers did tend to be sequential. I don't know a lot about the system for allocating them, but they seemed to go to the various Battalions in blocks.

And I think this helps us answer your question about when James Arnell joined the 9th Battalion RIF. He was number 45797. The highest number I can find for the Royal Irish Fusiliers in that block, apart from a few strays, was No.45857. The lowest in the block was No.45731 - so it seems a fair assumption that Arnell was among this draft of 127 men.

There was a large contingent in this group who were previously with London Regiments (Arnell was from London).

Eight of these 127 men were killed, from 24 August to 27 October 1918.

Now, here's the good news. From June to November 1918 I can only find, in the Battalion war diaries, one reference to the arrival of fresh drafts of men (apart from officers). On 9 June 1918 "A draft of 127 Other Ranks was received during the last two days"!!! That would seem to be the date you are looking for. If so, he arrived just in time a series of actions that would reduce the Battalion strength from 974 Other Ranks on 10 June 1918 to 350 on 23 October. And then he had the awful fortune to be killed two days later, in the last action in which the Battalion would fight.

I should add a major caveat - I have done this in a hurry, so others with greater knowledge than I may be able to find glaring holes in my logic or my evening's research. The conclusions are based on a number of assumptions that I have tried to outline above, and the information drawn from the National Archives Medal Index, Soldiers Died, CWGC and 9th RIF Battalion Diaries.

All the best

MacM

• 1 month later...

And a Happy New Year to you Hugh!

The Diary transcript for the 9th RIF (1 September 1917 to 9 June 1919) is very close to complete. I am just adding a few(!) footnotes, mainly covering all the men who lost their lives in that that period. This is quite a substantial task, as the Battalion was involved in heavy fighting throughout 1918.

One reference I particularly liked - during heavy fighting on 1 October the Diary reports that:

"At 9.30am I was informed by Brigade that machine gun fire from Sandsfield Farm was bothering them."

Very understated!

All the best

Phillip

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Thanks to the splendid efforts of MacM and Gerry Chester the NIH War Diaries have been transcribed and are online here: -

http://www.northirishhorse.org/memorium/ww1/WarDiaries.html

http://www.northirishhorse.org/memorium/ww1/ww1-5.html

Note that the 9th (NIH) Bn, R Ir Fus Diary from 1st September, 1917 (when over 300 NIH personnel joined) to 9th June, 1919 is now complete: -

http://www.northirishhorse.org/memorium/ww1/RIF.html

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Just to bring this up to date, the website quoted in the previous post has lapsed.

So if anyone has any questions on North Irish Horse war diaries or the war diaries of 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers please direct them to me.

All the Best

Hugh

• 1 year later...

Hello Hugh,

I hope you're still monitoring this thread. I've been asked to have a look at Private Thomas Foreman from Knockbracken, just outside Belfast, who served as 2294 NIH, and 41447 RIF, presumably 9th Bn.

I'm told by his daughter that he was captured and spent time as a PoW.

If you know anything about him that would be great.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hello Hugh,

I hope you're still monitoring this thread. I've been asked to have a look at Private Thomas Foreman from Knockbracken, just outside Belfast, who served as 2294 NIH, and 41447 RIF, presumably 9th Bn.

I'm told by his daughter that he was captured and spent time as a PoW.

If you know anything about him that would be great.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thomas does get a mention in the war diaries of the 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers. In the rolls taken immediately after the German Kaiserschlacht offensive, he is one of the many listed as missing. So the story that he was a POW is probably true. For the diaries, go to www.northirishhorse.com.au, click on 'Unit diaries' then scroll down to the link to the 9th Battalion.

Cheers

Phillip

Hello Philip,

Many thanks for your response to my post. Your website is a fantastic resource. Well done!

Cheers,

Nigel

Hello Philip,

Many thanks for your response to my post. Your website is a fantastic resource. Well done!

Cheers,

Nigel

A pleasure Nigel, and thanks for your comments on my site.

By the way, judging by Private Foreman's service number, he probably enlisted around September to November 1916. On arrival in France he would have joined the 2nd Regiment North Irish Horse.

All the best

Phillip

• 8 years later...