Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries North & South irish Horse

Armoured Farmer

I have digital photographs of all surviving WWI War Diaries for these two Regiments, and thier successor Infantry Battalions (7th South irish Horse and 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers, from Sept 1917)

Should anyone wish information from these please get in touch.

Regards

Armoured Farmer

Armoured Farmer again!

Just to clarify, the South Irish Horse successor infantry battalion was 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn, Royal Irish Regt

Any mention of a McCarley MM?

Des

Des,

In WO 95/2330, the 7th Bn, R Ir Regt War Diary I have a McCarthy J, 25989, Sgt, awarded the MM in November 1918.

From his number, 25989, he is one of 750 men drafted into the 7th Bn in June 1918 from the Royal Munster Fusiliers and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 250 from one and 500 from the other.

Regards

Farmer

The diary entry for 30th June lists McCarley as being awarded the M.M during that month which would tie in with the gazette entry for early October.

post-158-1129970283.jpg

Desmond,

My apologies, I was only thinking of the 7th Bn, Royal Irish Regment. I had not considered the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Perhaps a hint from you might have helped.

There is, indeed a 41329, Pte, McCarley, William, previously 2252, North Irish Horse, awarded the MM

• 1 month later...

Hi Farmer,

My wifes Great Uncles Lt Colonels James and Edmond Roache-Kelly both served with the South Irish Horse and latterly with various Battalions in the Royal Irish Regiments, James commanded a Battalion that was cut to pieces in March 1918.

Both were awarded MCs and DSOs are the dates of the actions and the wherabouts mentioned in the diaries, if there are any photos in there would love to see them.

Thanks for that,

Rob

B)-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Dec 7 2005, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Farmer,

My wifes Great Uncles Lt Colonels James and Edmond Roache-Kelly both served with the South Irish Horse and latterly with various Battalions in the Royal Irish Regiments, James commanded a Battalion that was cut to pieces in March 1918.

Both were awarded MCs and DSOs are the dates of the actions and the wherabouts mentioned in the diaries, if there are any photos in there would love to see them.

Thanks for that,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have to brief now but would welcome a longer correspondence with you.

James was awarded the MC and took command of the 7th S(SIH) Bn R Ir Regt in April 1918 just after it had been cut to pieces. He had been commissioned into the SIH in 1913.

Edmund was awarded the DSO and served with the R Ir Regt.

Please email me at hugh@southirishhorse.com and I can tell you more.

There are no photographs in the War Diaries but much that may be of interest to you.

Cheers

Hugh

Hugh,

Many thanks for that will be in contact.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Armoured Farmer,

I'd be very grateful for anything in the diaries about Captain George Chaigneau COLVILL, 7th (South Irish Horse) Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, killed in action at Fontaine les Croiselles on November 30th 1917. Anything in the diary about the action in which he died would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Shaun

Shaun,

Please forgive the delay in answering your query. I must have missed the email notification in my inbox.

Anyway, if you look at the following page on our SIH website you will find an entry on the 30th November, 1917.

http://southirishhorse.com/documents/7sih_...r_diaries_1.htm

The following page records the six men including GC Colvill who died that day: -

http://southirishhorse.com/documents/sih_dead.htm

COLVILL George Chaigneau, Capt, SIH att R Ir Regt 7th Bn

MCCARTHY Denis, Pte, 25525, R Ir Regt 7th Bn, formerly 2039 SIH

MITCHELL Herbert Joseph, Cpl, 25610, R Ir Regt 7th Bn, 1597 SIH

NEWMAN William, 25653, Sgt, R Ir Regt 7th Bn, 1896 SIH

SHIER Christopher George, 25781, Pte (L/Cpl), R Ir Regt 7th Bn, 1921 SIH

WILSON William Edward, 25894, Pte, R Ir Regt 7th Bn, 1968 SIH

All six are buried together at Croisilles Cemetery.

There is also a document at Kew for GC Colvill. If you would like more information let me know and I'll get back to you after Christmas.

Regards

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick Sharp

Dear Armoured Farmer,

I am researching a number of Irish soldiers, one of whom is Anthony Beyers, 1000, Pte, South Irish Horse, later joined the Labour Corps.

Is there any mention of him in the war diaries?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dick Sharp

Dear Hugh,

I have a nurse's album which has several entries from Private Richard BUSTEED; North Irish Horse 2285 ; Royal Irish Fusiliers 41546.

I would be very interested to know if there is any mention of him in the war diaries. Thanks.

Dear Hugh,

I have a nurse's album which has several entries from Private Richard BUSTEED; North Irish Horse 2285 ; Royal Irish Fusiliers 41546.

I would be very interested to know if there is any mention of him in the war diaries. Thanks.

Kate,

I have not recorded any mention of him in the narrative sections from any of the War Diaries. There is a 12 page Casualty List compiled in April 1918 after the Kaiserschlact on 21st March 1918. I have not indexed this yet but have had a look through all 12 or so pages (organised by Company) and he is not recorded there. Most men on this list were recorded as missing, and later turned up.

Sorry not to have been of any help.

Hugh

Dear Armoured Farmer,

I am researching a number of Irish soldiers, one of whom is Anthony Beyers, 1000, Pte, South Irish Horse, later joined the Labour Corps.

Is there any mention of him in the war diaries?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dick Sharp

Dick,

No mention of him in the diaries. All we know about him is that he transferred to the Labour Corps, as you knew, Lab Corps 483466 Pte, and that he was entitled to the BW&VM pair, ref LC 101 B 178 pg 18136.

Do you know anything else about him?

Regards

Hugh

• 1 month later...
Dear Hugh,

Hello Kate

I was very interested to see your reference to Private Busteed. My grandfather, Francis MacMahon, also served in the North Irish Horse then Royal Irish Fusiliers - his number in the latter was 41567, just 21 higher than Busteed. Fascinating! I've done quite a bit of work reconstructing his time in the War and would be happy to exchange any information if that helps.

Hello Kate

I was very interested to see your reference to Private Busteed. My grandfather, Francis MacMahon, also served in the North Irish Horse then Royal Irish Fusiliers - his number in the latter was 41567, just 21 higher than Busteed. Fascinating! I've done quite a bit of work reconstructing his time in the War and would be happy to exchange any information if that helps.

Hello MacM,

The number you have for your grandfather in the Royal Irish Fusiliers is indeed interesting. It is one of 330 for North Irish Horse men I have recorded from the Royal Irish Fusiliers British War and Victory Medal Rolls WO 329/1686. They number from 41179 to 41600.

This roll is arranged numerically by regimental number. These men, in nearly all cases, were those transferred from 2nd North Irish Horse into 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers in September 1917. See: -

http://vaugh.co.uk/documents/north_irish_horse.htm

41179 to 41600 obviously suggests over 400 men, the shortfall is made up with men from the Service Squadron of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons who were transferred with the North Irish Horse soldiers.

Regards

Farmer

• 3 months later...

hi trying to find any information on

7861 L/Cpl Stone James 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn., Royal Irish Regiment i no he was born in castlecomer co kilkenny Ireland any memtion in any diary would be of great help

Thanks MGB

Hi. We are researching wifes great uncle. Cecil TilsonL/cpl. 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers 41294. previously 1301 North Irish Horse. He is a recent discovery, found a picture of him on horseback. Any info please.

Mick