Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The History of The South Wales Borderers

Doug Lewis

Have a read of this page,, Les.

http://www.1914-1918.net/training_reserve.htm

Units served in before going overseas would not appear on the Medal Index Card.

Could your "D" Cry be "D" Coy. = "D" Company ?

Steve.

Hello Steve, thankyou for your reply. Yes I think it could say coy.

I have read the page you sent and it was interesting.

I wondered if you would know any more about subscription, my Mum is certain that he was called up and did not enlist himself. However his date is given as 22/11/1915, and apparently subscriptiondid not start until 1916. Do you think there could be another explanation?

Is there any other way to find out what unit he could have been in when he first enlisted?

It sees the more information you get it becomes more cmplicated.

Many Thanks Les

• 1 month later...
Willing to do online look ups, within reason. :rolleyes:

Regards Doug

I am researching my Grandfather Henry William Simmons. (please see these references in the Soldiers thread under South Wales Borderers. H W SIMMONS) From what I understand so far his Medal Card states he was in the South Wales Borderers.

4/13142 Simmons H.W. (Attd 4th Battalion Spec.Rs) 21.6.1916.

On his marriage Certificate says S Q M S Mont 8th Yeo, I think.

Do you have any pages chronicling the role of the 4th Battalion from date of formation in 1914 to 1918.

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Doug

Wondered if you have anything on 12th Bn?

I believe that it was a Bantam Bn, my man Cecil Davall (see below) has a MIC that states that he 1st went to France on 2nd June 1916 as a Sjt in the 12th Bn SWB. He was later promoted to 2nd Lt in the 2nd Bn Suffolks.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Jonathan

Apologies for not picking up on this thread.. The 1st Btn were involved in the attack on Rue Du Bois on 9th May 1915. I have three pages of info if you want to send me an email address I will send them to you.

Regards Doug.

vcj

It would be impossible to help you with your request, the History has at least 100 pages devoted to the 4th Btn,I could give you a little info if you were more specific.

Regards Doug.

Les

I'm sorry I'm unable to help you with your request. Without the Btn number I can't give you any info.

Regards Doug.

I did post this elsewhere, but recently an antiquarian bookseller in Winchester had a copy of this book, at £85 (compared to £125 on Turner Donovan's list). If anyone is interested, I'm willing to go in on Saturday and see if it's still available, purchase and send same on at cost plus P&P.

If anyone is interested, PM me - don't post here as I'll probably forget to look!

Andy

The 12th (Service) Btn (3rd Gwent) crossed to France on the 2nd June. Can you give me the date he transfered to the Suffolks. I have 7 pages of information about them prior to leaving for France and at least 20 pages after landing. if you can narrow down the time period it would be helpful.

Regards Doug.

Doug

So far all I know is that he does not appear is the Suffolk's history until 1918. Therefore I have to assume that he was with the SWB until the end of 1917.

His pair were attributed to his service with the Suffolks and he was already a Sgt by the time he went to France in 1916.

I am at the early stages of researching this relly and cannot really add much more other than he was born in 1897.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Andy

Doug,

Anything that could shed some light around the SWBs were doing on 14th August 1915 will be helpful as the following man from my village fell on that date.

Name John Ridgway

Address 20, Queen's St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

NOK Son of Job Ridgway,

Rank Private

No 24703

Regt 2nd Bn., South Wales Borderers

Date of Death 14.08.1915

Age 19

How Killed in Action

Theatre Gallipolli

Buried TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY

Notes Formerly 43973 Royal Army Medical Corps

post-14888-1160488930.jpg

Blue

On the 6th May the Btn were situated opposite Hill Sixty, Ypres Salient.

Taken from the History

"For billets the battalion used some not yet destroyed barracks in Ypres. These had thier disadvantages,for on May 6th the Germans concentrated their fire on them,with disastrous results. The three foot thick walls of the Infantry Barracks offered enough resistance to enable the men to be evacuated in time to avoid serious lossess,but B Company in the less solid Cavalry Barracks suffered heavily (1) as a salvo of heavy shell burst right inside the barrack rooms."

(1) Second Lt Raymond and 19 men were killed, Second Lt Heppel and 20 men wounded.

Regards Doug.

Jon

From the History

"From August 12th to 16th it (2nd Btn) held the line near Border Barricade and was busy sapping it out in order to straighten the line. Turkish guns were active and gave the battalion ample occupation in repairing the line,but it was lucky to escape with only a dozen casualties".....

Regards Doug.

The number of tasters Doug's giving, I'm going to end up buying the bally thing myself - it sounds like a good 'un.

• 2 weeks later...

I have...and it is!

Willing to do online look ups, within reason. :rolleyes:

Regards Doug

Hello,

If this offer is still valid, I would appreciate help with my researches into, my uncle :

Acting Serjeant 34568 Jack Moore (Christened John, but shown on his medal roll as "Jack")

4th Btn 2nd South Wales Borderers

The Birmingham Great War Roll notes that he volunteered in May 1915 and was drafted to Mesopotamia in June 1916.

He took part in the operations in connection with the capitulation of Kut and in the advance to capture Baghdad.

Wounded on the Shatt el Adhaim, he was invalided with nco's of the 90th Punjabis.

He later served for 12 months at Poona on "important duties of a special nature".

Returned to England in June 1920 and was transferred to Home Establishment

Any further information - particularly of his time in India - will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

eslin

Eslin

Apologies for not picking this up sooner,did your Uncle serve in the 2nd or 4th Btn,your request says both.

Regards Doug.

Eslin

Apologies for not picking this up sooner,did your Uncle serve in the 2nd or 4th Btn,your request says both.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding. Sorry for the confusion, I believe that he was in the 2nd South Wales Borderers.

Thanks again

eslin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding. Sorry for the confusion, I believe that he was in the 2nd South Wales Borderers.

Thanks again

eslin

I was so very wrong !!

My initial information came from the Birmingham Great War Roll, there it recorded him as a Corporal in the 2nd South Wales Borderers

Later information from the South Wales Borderers Museum fact sheet puts him as Acting Serjeant 34568 of the 4th(Service) Batallion.

I shall now retire to a corner with embarrassment

eslin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

is it possible you could tell me where the 2nd Bn of the SWB,as part of the 29th DIV were on the night and day of 10 and 11 of April 1918 during the Battle of Messines.

A relative of mine,Walter Reginald Herbert FLUTE,Private 40655 died,aged 28 on the 11th April 1918 and is commemorated on the Ploegteert memorial. Is it also possible to tell me what particiular action his battalion were taking part in when he was killed?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Susan

Just thought that I would mention that an old GWR express locomotive of the Star Class number 4037 was rebuilt as a Castle Class and renamed 'The South Wales Borderers' (from 'Queen Philippa'). I always admired her as she steamed through Gloucester on the South Wales expresses. I believe she was shedded at 'Cardiff Canton' who kept her in gleaming condition right up to withdrawal.

I hope her name plates were claimed by the Regimental Museum. Does anybody know their whereabouts?

Also hope this isn't too off topic.

• 1 month later...

Eslin

I have no information on your Uncles service in India. There are many pages of information regards the 4th Btn's involvement at Kut and in the advance to capture Baghdad.

Regards Doug.

Susan

Apologies,I've only just picked up on your request. I have three pages of information,if you would like to PM me with your email address I will send it to you.

Regards Doug.

Eslin

I have no information on your Uncles service in India. There are many pages of information regards the 4th Btn's involvement at Kut and in the advance to capture Baghdad.

Regards Doug.