Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7th Highland Light Infantry

stiletto_33853

Can anyone tell me what this Battalion was doing on or around the 21/10/15, reason for asking is one of my locals was KIA with them on this date. 2nd Lieut. Archibald Guy ARBER, 10th Border Regiment attached 1/7th H.L.I.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy.

On the night of Oct.20th, they had attacked Trench H11A, establishing a bombing sap. On the night of 21st October, they repulsed a Turkish counter-attack attempting to regain the lost positions. Casualties were 2 killed and 8 wounded.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your help again, 2nd Lieut. Arber is buried in Pink Farm Cemetery, Helles and was only attached to this battalion some six weeks before.

Andy

Andy,

From "The 52nd Lowland Division 1914-1918", Lt.-Col. RR Thomson, M.C.

"On the 20th, under bright moonlight, a party of 7th H.L.I., under Capt. E. Watson, stole across No Man's Land to this trench (part of H.11a), and found it unoccupied for the time being. Before the Turks realised what had happened, the 7th H.L.I. had erected a barricade, and dug a communication trench of their own across to it without the loss of a man. The portion captured ran along the top of the cliffs of West Krithia Nullah, directly overlooking and almost enfilading the Turkish trench G.11a, which ran across the more low-lying tongue dividing the two water-courses. The Turks showed their appreciation of this very clever theft from them of a valuable trench, by making a heavy bomb attack on the new barricade at 9.45 p.m. on the next night. Lieut. Arber, 7th H.L.I., and one other rank* were killed, and seven other ranks were wounded, but the attack was beaten off."

If you go to a previous thread Trench map you will see a couple of maps covering this trench system. The map put on by Eric (The Plummed Goose) shows the relationship between the two trenches. The map that James put on cuts off just before H.11a, but maybe if you asked Dave (CROONAERT) nicely, he would be able to furnish us with a fuller version :)

*Other rank killed - from SDGW, part 63, the HLI:

Stirling, James, b. Glasgow, e. Glasgow, 2127, Pte., d. of w., Gallipoli, 21/10/15.

Stuart

Stuart,

Great stuff, many thanks, I will ask Dave (very very nicely indeed) if he could post a little more fuller version.

Andy

Stuart,

Great stuff, many thanks, I will ask Dave (very very nicely indeed) if he could post a little more fuller version.

Andy

H11a is named on this extract...

post-357-1129816631.jpg

...and this is a similar area from Dec.1915 as shown in the O.H. map...

Dave.

post-357-1129816726.jpg

Dave,

You are a star, many many thanks for this, a great help in piecing 2nd Lieut. Arbers history together.

Andy