Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7/1916 death plaque buyers beware

museumtom

I found this while surfing ebay

I emailed the seller and asker her what paperwork or backup she had with this plaque, here is what she said;

The owner of the death penny now, who I am selling this for, said that when he bought if off of eBay in 2002, that is what the description had from that seller. He even still had the eBay description print out & that is what I went off of. Thanks.

The plaque is on;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6569413743&rd=1

Interesting. There are 9 G Croziers of which 2 are not G or George. I wonder how they know which George it is?

Peter

No way they can tie this to a particular casualty but on the other hand it might be his. Buyer should be aware of this - but don't expect the seller to be forthcoming with the info !

Anyone buying any Plaque,sans provenance,in original form; or unaccompanied by the relative Medals should always err on the side of caution,unless it is without doubt a unique & therefore unduplicated name,though undoubtedly many Collectors;collect lone plaques,the majority prefer to collect complete groups & there is nothing to say that the intact group with plaque

a}survives intact in a Collection,Museum,or with a Family

b}won't @ some time later surface onto the market,thus causing red faces all round.

As always with any purchase "Caveat Emptor" ;)

I think "attributed" in the key word here :)

Tamos

Hi All, :)

I agree, that for me is the key word !!

Cheers

Tim.

The seller states 2/7/16.... but I've just done a quick search on SDGW and there's a George Crozier died 1/7/16 !!! Maybe they missed this one :ph34r: This George Crozier was --

2nd Btn Seaforth Highlanders, S/5884, L/Cpl, from Middlesex.

SD lists 4 Georges & 2 George "other" Crozier. There's 3 Croziers on Officer Died, but no George.

Les.

Now what they should have done is get a photo of an Irish rifleman...any Irish rifleman will do...get someone to take a pic of Mr Croziers grave...maybe call to the newspaper lib. and photocopy the death insert....dont include a pic of the man incase he looks totally different..that would give the game away...and list and watch the price rocket.... :angry: I'm not messing I seen this happen this year...I researched the KIA and the pic they provided back in 1916 for the paper was like night and day...so someones sitting with a plaque and totally unrelated photo thinking its all one big related lot!

Marks right you never know unless the photo its named (this can be dodgy too) so often you take things on trust even from reputable dealers after all they may also beleive its ok. Its the same for plaques youve just got to see the links on this website to plaques wanted, whats the chances say of getting the correct plaque for a group say to a Jones? as for Ist of July stuff!!! Thankfully many sellers are upfront about these issues always beware vague answers. Anyway must be off now to sell a genuine 1/7/16 plague to John Jones V.C. Welsh Guards ex Rorkes Drift S.W.B. with contemory digital 17th generation copy color photo of said riding a MK1 tank shooting down Baron Richtofen . cheers GAreth

Yeah, i suppose at the end of the day attributed would be a better word, but whose to say unless theres evidence whose plaque this was, does it really matter, as long as you haven`t paid threw the nose for it. Buyer be ware and all that.

It didn't sell at around the going rate for a multi-name plaque so the hype didn't carry it through.