Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cemeteries and Memorials

tonycad

I recently visited Corbie Municipal Cemetery Extension to look for the grave of MAJOR WAL TOUCHE CONGREVE VC DSO MC, and found it immediately at the entrance to the Cemetery.

The Cemetery also contains the grave of a CWGC gardener , with a CWGC 'type' headstone, and a group of civilian graves, all wth CWGC 'type' graves, as if the family liked the design.

Tony

PS. I have foreshortened the photograph, in order to make the letters more distinct

post-4728-1129664015.jpg

Also at the Cemetery was a small plaque, which had the CWGC format, although I did not think in was placed by the CWGC. The plaque as a on a low wall immediately behind Major Congreve's grave.

Does anyone know the story behind it.

T <_< ny

post-4728-1129664287.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Also at the Cemetery was a small plaque, which had the CWGC format, although I did not think in was placed by the CWGC.  The plaque as a on a low wall immediately behind Major Congreve's grave.

Does anyone know the story behind it.

T <_< ny

Bringing this up again.

There must be a very intersting story behind the plaque, as well as tragic circumstances.

Does ant Pal know the background.

T :rolleyes: ony

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing up the background to Seargent Dan Macintyre's death one last time.

The CWGC have no knowledge of the plaque in Corbie Municipal Cemetery Military Extension.

He was in the 4th Tank Brigade, Signal Section, Royal Engineers, He was killed on 24th March 1918, and is commemorated in the Pozieres Cemetery.

The condition of the plaque and the bolts fixing it to the wall appear to be relatively new. so it appwaers to be a newly rembered incident.

Tony

Tony,

It does seem strange, almost as if there was something removed and this was placed as a reminder or some such. Puzzling mystery that you seem deemed not to find the answer to, judging from the inactivivty of answers.

Sorry my post is no help

Arm