The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FAO those who have assumed that I am Keith Pearson

Dragon

I understand that some people have decided that I am Keith Pearson, who has posted elsewhere on the Forum and with whom some people disagree.

As my friends know, in mid-September I was bluelighted into a hospital in Alsace, France and, having spent the previous week continuously attached to four intravenous infusions, I was still very poorly on the date that Keith Pearson joined the forum and made his first posts.

I hope this resolves your uncertainty.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

I've no idea what the Keith Pearson business is about, I missed those posts, but I hope that you are now recovered and that all is well.

Roy

me neither must have missed that one, hope all is well now, bon courage !!

I have no clue what that Keith stuff is about!

But on this very occasion I'd like to wish you a speedy and comprehensive recovery, and may you rejoin us as soon as possible - :ph34r: please no cow parade threads -Chester gets nervous :D

Gwyn,

Sorry to hear that you were blue-lighted into Hospital and hope that you make a speedy recovery.

Not sure what the Keith Parsons business is about, must have missed that one, but get well soon.

Andy

Keith Pearson??? I know nothing about that, Gwyn.

Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you make a speedy recovery.

Must admit .. never crossed my mind.

But I would love to know if Prof. Keef was a wind-up cos I spent some considerable time replying to 'him/her/it'.

By the way .. Konnichi Wa.

Must admit .. never crossed my mind.

Guilty - crossed my mind.

Particularly when Max hinted at a Manchester connection for Mr Pearson

Not too many Pals with the skill and wit to change their writing style and still express cogent sentiments such as Mr Pearson's. B)

John

... continuously attached to four intravenous infusions...

Gwyn

OK, I've got foie gras and claret, but for the life of me I can't work out what the other two were! :D

Any fuss notwithstanding, it's good to have you back!

Adrian

Just like to say that I am also not Keith Pearson or Lobby Ludd for that matter . Neither do I play the banjo. Glad to have an opportunity to clear this up.

I hope you are feeling better Gwyn.

Hi Gwyn

Sorry to hear you have been ill, hope all is well now. I have not come across any posts my Keith Pearson must go have a look.

Annette

Is it possible that - in a parallel universe somewhere - the mysterious Mr pearson is going around saying "I'm not......"?

Gwyn

Hope all is going well with your recovery. :D

Don't think I have ever heard of this Pearson character, but take on board what you have said.

Regards

Mark :)

Keith who?

Hope you're on the mend soon Gwyn!!

Les.

I'm Keith Pearson, no I'm Keith Pearson and so is my wife (sorry, been watching too much Python again).

Gwyn,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Martyn

Sorry to hear that you haven't been well, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Marika

Thank you for your good wishes. I’m touched, as that wasn’t the point of the post.

I’m not doing too badly, though still have to take in the reality of hopping and lurching round in shoes that fit only one foot with a leg dressed in bandages for another five months, one week and three days.

It happened very quickly. One minute I was enjoying swimming in a pleasant pool under some autumn chestnut trees, taking in the view of the Rhine plain across to the Black Forest, the next minute – not literally – I was being whizzed down the autoroute with the lovely ambulanciers saying, oh, we're just passing such a place, and I'd pop my head up to have a look out, and they'd promptly shove me back down again.

The French hospital was superb, apart from the food, from the moment that it was decreed that I was a blue-light ambulance case, to the speedy and efficient procedures through Urgence – fifteen minutes from arrival to diagnosis, canulisation and multi-drips of this and that, via blood tests which were analysed in ten minutes – to being told that I would be admitted at 21h, and at 20.58h the porter arrived to wheel me off to my room.

I would say that the standard of accommodation and care was similar to that which I’ve experienced in a private hospital in the UK. The cleanliness was absolutely outstanding. No cats in their A&E, unlike my local hospital. Medical intervention was prompt and effective; maybe I was rather exotic, being foreign, and furthermore a foreigner who could actually speak their language and understand them – phew, said the first medic – but I’ve never had so much medical attention in my life. They were alert and spot-on with tests and responses to tests. And, something that mattered to me very much, was that they accepted what I said as an active partner in my own healthcare and didn’t infantalise me. I still have nightmares from when a British nurse refused to believe my statement that I’m anaphylactic to penicillin and cephalosporins, and attempted to inject me to see whether I was right or not.

The food, as I said, was awful and as my room-mate thought it was too, I assume that it really was; not that I had any appetite. They simply couldn’t get their heads round the fact that someone who says she doesn’t want to eat meat really means that she doesn’t want to eat meat. The catering manager and I never understood each other’s point of view and to be honest I don’t think they tried very hard. That’s my only complaint.

I think it helped enormously that I speak French well and with a regional (Alsacien) accent. The medics had a good passive understanding of English, but could say very little. It’s done wonders for my vocabulary – school French didn’t teach medical terms, or body parts apart from uncontroversial ones like hands. I learned a lot of new words and dialect from my room-mate, particularly the words to use when fed up.

I am very appreciative of the particular two forum friends who have put up with so many disconsolate emails since I came home and have sent gigabytes of encouragement back in return. They know themselves.

Gwyn

Just like to say that I am also not Keith Pearson or Lobby Ludd for that matter . Neither do I play the banjo. Glad to have an opportunity to clear this up.

I hope you are feeling better Gwyn.

Oh Theodiouswhitlock! :angry: probably is Keith Parsons? And I too am glad you are doing better!