Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a War Grave

Jim Maclean

I'm trying to find the location of the grave of Oswald Laumann, died Strete in Devon in March 1943. He was initially buried in Weston Mill, Plymouth and exhumed for reburial at Cannock in 1963 according to Weston Mill.

Could any kind person help me with a plot number?

My thanks in advance.

Jim

Airman Oswald Laumann 74197/32 German Air Force

Died 23.03.43

Buried Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, Staffs

Unfortunately his grave reference is missing from the CWGC lists but I have enquired for you.

Jim

Hard Luck!

The story from CWGC....

Laumann is one of sixteen German casualties for whom they have never been able to trace a burial location in Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery. They do not even have any real evidence that these men were actually transferred there in the early 1960s (If you have any could you let me know, please).

They have done an actual search of all headstones in the cemetery and even VdK cannot help with any clues - bearing in mind that it was VdK that organised the mass move of the majority of German casualties to Cannock.

It seems that these sixteen escaped the German records net at the time. CWGC lists them as being buried at Cannock GMC as that is the most likely burial place.

Terry,

Thank you very much for your effort. I was at Weston Mill Cemetery this morning. The lady that I spoke to said her records showed that Laumann was exhumed in 1963 for reburial at Cannock.

I shall pop in again the next couple of days and see if I can find out any more. Maybe there are references that may help in a search.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim

I now know that he held the rank of Oberleutnant and his n-o-k address post-war was in Dusseldorf (I have the full address).

He was buried in the war graves plot at Weston - Grave No.19729.

But still no info to help locate him at Cannock.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

According to the VDK the remains of Oblt Dr Oswald Laumann were claimed by his family and returned to Germany for private family burial, that is why he is not shown in VDK on-line records, several other sets of remains were also claimed at around the same time.

I hope this helps.

Joe

The initial post dates from 2005!

I thought this was the season for goodwill, so please don't harrumph about such an old subject.

At least Joe Potter has a solution to why 16 sets of remains are not recorded by the VDK records.

That is information that will be of use to Terry and others.

OK?

Have a good Christmas and don't shoot the carol singers!

The initial post dates from 2005!

I thought this was the season for goodwill, so please don't harrumph about such an old subject.

At least Joe Potter has a solution to why 16 sets of remains are not recorded by the VDK records.

That is information that will be of use to Terry and others.

OK?

Have a good Christmas and don't shoot the carol singers!

Its being so cheerful that keeps me going.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

According to the VDK the remains of Oblt Dr Oswald Laumann were claimed by his family and returned to Germany for private family burial, that is why he is not shown in VDK on-line records, several other sets of remains were also claimed at around the same time.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Joe,

I would like to know if you have any specific information about Laumann's remains. He's been the subject of my research for 7 years and we thought he was lost.

Thanks,

Adam

post-87446-0-48904200-1328252649.jpg

This should have been moved to Skindles long ago. I feel that it is appropriate to close it now, but I will leave it here because of the grave information. . If there are any answers to Adam's query can they be sent to him by PM please. (The PM system can now be accessed after 2 posts).

Keith