Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn,Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

sheena2jura

I have a copy of the war diary for 11th/12th october 1916. if anyone would like a copy.

• 10 months later...
Guest balbirnie
I have a copy of the war diary for 11th/12th october 1916. if anyone would like a copy.

I would be very interested in a copy of the war diary for this period as a relative of mine died on the twelfth.

Balbirnie

• 1 year later...

Hi Sheena2jura,

a very kind offer on which I would say... yes please :D my email is:

cheers, Jon

Edited by jay dubaya

• 1 year later...

Sheena,

I've just come across this posting now.

I have a relative who was in the 10th Btn and was killed on the 12th Oct 1916 (i think) attacking the

Butte du Warlencourt. He is buried in Warlencourt British Cemetery. I would love a copy of the diary.

dougmair@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance

Doug

• 8 years later...

Hi Sheena,

I've just stumbled across your post. If its ok, please could I have a copy? I am researching Lt Cremin who was with the 10th Bn and killed on 11th October 1916.

Many thanks

FS

Don't hold your breath. According to her profile, Sheen's not visited the Forum since March last year.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Don't hold your breath. According to her profile, Sheen's not visited the Forum since March last year.

Rather glad I didn't chaps, I've been waiting over 9 years 

I suspect it would be easier to download it from the National Archives site for a whopping £3.50 (assuming it's available)

And one doesn't even get the whole diary 

Can't find on ancestry but here's an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme'

In reserve Celestines Wood (1/7). Later to Grove Town. Moved forward to Billon Wood (4/7), trenches at Montauban and west of Bernafay Wood (8/7), Talus Boise (11/7). Moved forward to Valley Trench and support (13/7). Attack on Longueval (14/7) - assembling on northern slopes of Caterpillar Valley - took left of 26th Brigade's assault (8th Black Watch on right). Battalion historian Lieutenant-Colonel H.G. Sotheby records that attack was a complete surprise - German front line being penetrated while the Pipes played Regimental March and the 'Charge.' All companies held strong positions by nightfall. To Longueval (15/7). In action Delville Wood (18/7). To Carnoy (19/7). Casualties since (14/7) - 435. To Sandpit Camp (11/7). Entrained at Mericourt for Vimy sector (23/7). Arrived Mezerolles (5/10), To Franvillers (7/10). Moved forward through Albert (8/10) and to positions at Bottom Wood. Took over trenches Flers Line (9/10). With 7th Seaforth- 'C' and 'D' Companies attacked towards Butte de Warlencourt (12/10) - heavy machine gun fire from Snag Trench blocked attack - leading waves digging in 150 yards from their start points. Relieved before dawn and to trenches east of High Wood. 

15 hours ago, hackneygurkha said:

Hi Sheena,

I've just stumbled across your post. If its ok, please could I have a copy? I am researching Lt Cremin who was with the 10th Bn and killed on 11th October 1916.

Many thanks

FS

The Battalion History has his death as happening on the 12th. There is no detail, but I assume he fell in a local attack somewhere near Flers (again, little detail) on Snag Trench. The assault was by the 7th Seaforth, with C and D Companies of the Argylls in support. B Company then moved up to consolidate a captured German trench, with A remaining to old the British line. Casualties were heavy, mostly due to shell and machine gun fire.

Afraid there isn't much extra information.

• 1 year later...

Sheena

Coming to this thread late but am researching my wifes family and her great uncle died with the A&SH on 12 Oct 16 so a copy would be very kind.

John

chaucer08@hotmail.com

• Admin
40 minutes ago, JohnG60 said:

Sheena

Coming to this thread late but am researching my wifes family and her great uncle died with the A&SH on 12 Oct 16 so a copy would be very kind.

John

chaucer08@hotmail.com

Welcome to the forum

It's not usually considered a good idea to post personal emails as this is an open forum

The originator of this thread was originally posting in 2005 and has not visited us since 2016.

Since 2005 the war diaries have been digitised and are available from TNA for £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352540

It is also available on Ancestry see post 13 (Guest) above if you subscribe there is a direct link to the relevant pages

I would also suggest you have a look at the Long Long Trail website, link top right of this page, where you will find a history of the Battalion, major battles and hints on researching a Great War soldier.

Ken

Edited by kenf48