Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identifying an artillery piece

grantsmil

Hopefully someone may be able to assist. I am interested in trying to identify this gun. The photographer took a nice close up of the front of this artillery piece. The image has been reduced slightly for this posting and has not been cropped. The intricate painted camoflague pattern can be seen, and I suppose would suggest it is of German origin? I would appreciate any assistance to identify the country of origin and the type of gun shown here.

post-6040-1129567023.jpg

Hopefully someone may be able to assist.  I am interested in trying to identify this gun.  The photographer took a nice close up of the front of this artillery piece.  The image has been reduced slightly for this posting and has not been cropped.  The intricate painted camoflague pattern can be seen, and I suppose would suggest it is of German origin?  I would appreciate any assistance to identify the country of origin and the type of gun shown here.

The 6-inch Howitzer, a magnificent British artillery piece

The modified 26-cwt version of the 6-inch Howitzer was produced in 1915. The Howitzer weighed 3.7 tonnes and more than 3,600 saw service in the Great War

Many batteries were camouflaged on the Western Front; the blocks attached to the wheels are to assist movement over poor ground

The long, long trail, well worth a look for all your artillery needs.

Tom

Thankyou for your help.

It was the pattern of the camoflague that put me off. A pattern using the thin dark, or black separation lines, I would normally associate with a German made pattern. I guess there is no reason to prevent the British from copying a German pattern, or, the 6-inch Howitzer may have been captured and re-painted. Unfortunately I do not know where, when, or by whom, the photo was taken.