Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OX & BUCKS Man

priv

Pals,

I have just obtained a pair to a man in the Ox & Bucks. I have just received his medal card tha tappears to be more like a SWB card, though it does contain the roll listing for both his BWM and Vic. It also contains his enlistment and discharge dates. I would put up a copy of it, but I need to sort out my scanner....

I have a couple of questions, which I hope someone could help me with :

Firstly, he has a 5 digit number yet he enlisted accoring to the card on 25/3/14. He wasn't a terrier otherwise he would have been re-numbered. He would surely then have been a pre-war regular - but with a 5 digit number and no enttitlement to a Star ?! (He was a private to boot - so there was no real likelhood of being involved in training or recruitment). There is a number 4 to the side of the regiment, but if he was in the 4th Ox & Bucks he would have had a 4 digit number and been re-numbered like anoither man whose medal I have

Secondly the reason for discharge is not a KR (Kings Reg) as is often seen, but an Army Order in this case A.O. 265/17 para 2.10 - can anyone help me with what this is I have a farily good list og Kings Regs that I have got from the Forum and Williamson's but I cant seem to find any info re Army Orders.

Many thanks if anyone can help with my questions

James

What is his number? The 2nd Battalion had men serving with Regimental numbers starting 10*** by July 1914, according to the nominal rolls printed in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Chronicle.

This chap's no was 33472 ! Seems a little to high for a regiment with only 2 pre-war regular battalions.

Any help on the a.o.'s woudld be great - if I find out anything form another source I have contacted I will post it here.

His number is highly unlikely for a pre-war soldier, more like a 1917 enlistment. Does his MIC mention a previous regiment at all? He could have been transferred and issued with a new regimental number on joining the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry?

Andrew and Gavin,

Thanks for your comments. His number is clearly 33472 and there is no reference to any earlier service - even when cross-referencing on just name and number or even just number.

MIC is attached - I hope and you can see what I mean...........

TurnerOx_Bucks.doc

Hello James

I think your AO is AC

A.C = Army Casualty (list)

Para 2.b, w = discharged through wounds

It is a SWB index card, very common... your man would have received a war pension having been awarded a SWB , these records are at the PRO

It may be very unlikely but you may still find your man has a second index card for a star, though you can’t find it on line it may still be there somewhere.

Best of luck

Tom

James

my g-uncle Harold Maker was in Ox & Bucks. I beleive he enlisted in 1914 (underage) number 17537 and was allocated to 5th (Service) Bn. He arrived in France with a draft of 200 men on 1st October 1915. His MIC shows a 5 in front of number. He was entitled to 1914-15 Trio. Hospitalised with Trench feet at end of 1915 his whereabouts after June 1916 are a mystery - he may have returned to the front (Somme)- but I do know that he returned to France in Jan 1917 (photo shows wound stripe, either from Trench Feet or....?) and he was posted to 1/4th Bn, a TF battalion. He DOW 21.4.1917.

I have a copy of the War Record of 1/4th Bn Ox & Bucks which lists the names and numbersof all men KIA in the Bn during the war. Between 11.4.15 and Nov 1916 ALL of the numbers shown are three and four digit with the highest number listed being 7119 RSM E.J.Pearce KIA 11.2.16 @ Hebuterne).

The first five digit number is 20240 Pte A. Connop DOW 12.11.16.

from Feb 1915 the great majority of numbers are six digit TF from the series 200001-240000.

However, out of the total number of 497 other ranks killed during the war there are four men listed with five digit numbers beginning with 3...

33488 Pte W. J. Grant 5.8.17 St Julien

32559 Pte R. Richardson 8.8.17 St Julien

33085 Pte A.J. Partingdon 16.8.17 St Julien

33321 Pte W. A. Woodruff 16.8.17 St Julien

Your man's number is very close to the first of these, so I would say it shows a service enlistment 1915-16, but I am no expert in these matters.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Okay - now I am hooked!

MICs for these men show :-

33488 Pte Grant - also 8/12798 36th Training Res Bn

32559 Pte Richardson - also 5184 Notts & Derby R

33085 Pte Partington - also 28670 Gloucs R

33321 Pte Woodruff - also 3067 Oxf & Bucks LI

Could they have been returning wounded, and re-allocted to different Bn/Regt?

Martin