Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stuffed Or Not Stuffed

Paul Johnson

You see attached two photos of what looks like the same man with the same dog. Whilst the soldier (Of the Essex Regiment I believe) has moved positions the Dog has the same stupified look and appears to have remained in the exact same position. Either it's very obidient or it's stuffed.

I think it's stuffed but What do you think?

PAUL J :)

post-1368-1129562092.jpg

I think it's stuffed but What do you think?

Paul, see your optician pronto :D - the very intelligent and well-behaved mutt has definitely moved between shots - definitely not stuffed.

Jim

Canine Observations Inc.

I thought the dog's head ins in a slightly different positon in each photo which would indicate that it still had a pulse but why did he have his photograph taken with the dog?

The dog is not stuffed, but is alive and well,

Though I am not so sure about Tommy Atkins.

This reminds me of a certain hotel in Alston, Cumbria, which used to have hanging in its front door, the following sign:

‘Dogs welcome,

Children tolerated.’

Regards

Michael D.R.

It is true that some photographers used to use stuffed animals as props for their photos. This was because if the animal moved, it would look fuzzy in the photo.

Props were quite a big thing with photogrpahers then, thats why you see soldiers standing next to ridiculous looking plant stands and I think dog would have been pretty "cool" then.

It is the same guy though, isn't it?

Anyway, I value your opinions in what was just a simple, light-hearted piece of fun.

Now, I'm off to the opticans as recommended by so many Pals.

Regards

PAUL J B)

You know - I'm not convinced it isn't stuffed. The photos are taken from different angles, and the right-hand picture is taken looking down at the dog. The stance is generally identical, and it's a damned good dog which can be photographed stock still in the same pose, particularly given the exposure time these sort of photographs would have taken, and with no restraint. Also, I suspect if it were a mascot, as opposed to a prop, the chummy in the picture would have his hand on the blessed thing, rather than twiddling his swagger stick.

By all means go to Dollond & Aitchison, Paul, but I'd save my money and ask a more important question - sage and onion or chestnut? B)

I think it an ex-dog, having shuffled off this mortal coil, etc, etc.....

At the time the photo was taken, my buddy was healthy and alive; but what the hell is this stuffed soldier doll doing in the picture :blink:

It's fairly difficult to get a Border Collie to sit still......so I don't know- maybe it was a poseable stuffed pooch :o

It's fairly difficult to get a Border Collie to sit still......so I don't know- maybe it was a poseable stuffed pooch :o

It appears to me that the dogs tail hangs down the back of the bench in the second picture and is blurred by movement, so I believe the dog is alive.

It appears to me that the dogs tail hangs down the back of the bench in the second picture and is blurred by movement, so I believe the dog is alive.

By George, I do believe you've cracked it, Andrew - the dog is definitely alive, intelligent, well-behaved and enjoying posing.

Jim

Paul,

I think you should start this thread again, but as a poll, then we could all have the chance to vote and see the latest results - much more interesting than a certain other poll happening today!!

Alan

Alan,

This is more fun than I thought, so I've brought it to the top again. (I'm not sure how to start a poll on the forum. Can you help?)

Anyway, I Vote for Stuffed. (It's ears haven't moved position).

Border Collies are highly intelligent and this one looks like a sad muppet. (I still haven't been to the opticians yet, but some Pals don't think I need to!)

No one has yet commented on the young man. Is it the same guy? Is it the Essex Regiment? (I vote Yes on both counts)

PAUL J :D:D

Siegfried Sassoon 2RWF and a few chums had their photo taken with a stuffed sheep: the legs are clearly wooden. [no, not Sassoon's legs]. I guess the Regimental Goat would not cooperate.

The soldiers look stuffed, by the way. As for the dog, it was alive then, and it's dead now.

might be the same guy but then again might not be!

might be the same dog but then might not be!

stuffed or not stuffed, might be. might not be!

hey I don't know!!!!!!

Mandy

who could not tell even by enlarging them!

Perhaps they made the stuffed dogs bendy in those days so that they could ring the changes a bit. Something like Wallace and Gromit. Phil B

post-2329-1129655442.gif

This is serious stuff and it cries for an assessment. I have issued a Request for Proposal to 3 contractors; the RfP covers an assessment on the livelyhood of the dog in question, to include risk assessment on the aggressiveness of such a dog when flashed by photographer;

the contractors already signalled their interest to conduct the assessment and offered a speedy answer on cost, schedule and performance of requested evaluation :ph34r:

Sorry - I still say stuffed. The blur of tail is simply explained - in the second picture, it is on a bench with no support, so the tail (necessarily loose) fell through it. QED.

Next: Terry Wogan's syrup explained, and why Donald Sutherland's teeth in Pride and Prejudice only appeared to be white.

Not sure it's the same bloke. The right hand one has something between th esecond and third buttons. The shoulder titles may be different too (if this was possible whilst retaining the same cap badge) The one one the left seems to be semi-circular, whilst that on the right is round. I think they probably share the same dentist though.

If I circle ten differences and send it in, can I have a prize?

The dog is alive - the real question is: can anyone identify the badge it is wearing?

Taking up Marina's point, they could both be identical twins, but unless someone has inserted a mechanical nodding device, or it warped by a warm fire, the dog has adopted a slightly different posture between shots.