Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

The military Correspondance of FM Robertson

armourersergeant

armourersergeant

The military correspondance of Feild Marshall Sir William Robertson CIGS dec 1915-feb 1918

By David R Woodward

Army Records Society....

359 pages.

This like others in the series it is in the form of editing rather than narrative.In fact the Author is classed as the editor. There is a brief over view of Robertsons career and some explinations as to the what he did and what he did not put in and then you are upon the transcripts of many officail and unofficial letters and correspondances that he sent and recieved. It is woven to give you an opinion of a man and what he had to do in his position. Some are designated as secret and were obviously not for the politicians to see and some give a very candid view of what he had to do in his role as Haigs main 'westrern' supporter.

It is difficult to pin down any great moment from the letters other than to say that i keep going back to it for research purposes and find new and relevant bits that previously had not seemed interesting. So I think that like many books i have read on the great war it is excellent to use as a reference book to go to time and again.

At the back of the book there is a good notes reference and biography section of the people mention in the text.

As a summary i would say anyone with an interest in the workings of the high command or Robertson in particular would find it a useful read and reference guide. I myself have always had a soft spot for the man himself and what he achieved especially considering the class conscious times that he lived. For in the time that he was CIGS he was in effect the most senior active General in the Army. Not a bad achievement for a boy whose father was a postmaster.

Arm.

• 1 year later...

Arm. Any chance there is an ISBN on this. I think I'd like to look it over, and maybe get the book. Having read about Robertson in a few recent books he sounds like an interesting fellow. Thanks, Andy

armourersergeant

ISBN 0-370-31415-8

also you may wish to get hold of

'From Private to Feild Marshall' by Robertson himself and 'Soldier true' by Victor Bonham Carter. Robertson also wrote another bio of which the name escapes me but which has Statesman in the title i think!

regards

Arm.

I myself have always had a soft spot for the man himself and what he achieved especially considering the class conscious times that he lived. For in the time that he was CIGS he was in effect the most senior active General in the Army. Not a bad achievement for a boy whose father was a postmaster.

Arm.

An interesting figure indeed, and not much talked about outside these circles - which is surprising given his background (is he still the only OR to become Field-Marshal?)

I wouldn't dare get into any of the current Haig discussions but I can't help wondering, perhaps mischievously, whether or not Haig would get the same criticism if he'd had Robertson's background. ;)

Anthony

"Soldiers and Statesmen", Arm, 2 volumes. Had good reputation when published, less so now I think.

Have you got either of the two you mention, or have read them? If so, which first?

armourersergeant
An interesting figure indeed, and not much talked about outside these circles - which is surprising given his background (is he still the only OR to become Field-Marshal?)

I wouldn't dare get into any of the current Haig discussions but I can't help wondering, perhaps mischievously, whether or not Haig would get the same criticism if he'd had Robertson's background. ;)

Anthony

I believe he is Anthony, though FM Slim of Burma fame often gets a mention but his not exactly true.

I think if you read some of Robertsons correspondance he was a supporter of Haig whilst at the same time not always agreeing the tatics used. He didnt mind the casualties so long as the tatics were considered. He was a definate 'bite and hold' man of which Haig was not really.

He did apparently fall out with Haig after he gave a resounding speech complimenting Henry Wilson who had ousted Robertson. I beleive he was heard to say as he left the dinner. 'I shant go ****'in with 'aig anymore'. If true this to me sums up the man.

As for him being CIC, well i think he may have given it a good go but then its easy to say so after the event. Who knows how he would have faired stuck in the middle?

regards

Arm.

armourersergeant
"Soldiers and Statesmen", Arm, 2 volumes. Had good reputation when published, less so now I think.

Have you got either of the two you mention, or have read them? If so, which first?

Greenwoodman,

thanks for the title knew it was something like that.

Have read both books mentioned but not the one you provided the title of. Would say both books are worth a read though obviously they are both pro him.

regards

Arm.

ps just seen in march Birminham uni study day about BEF in 1915 nwith Corrigan talking about Indian corps in one section. Might be worth a trip?