Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians)

Knarf45

I am researching the death of a relation who was KIA on 8 January 1918. His details are:

Lance Corporal A Atwell (200982) 1st Bn, Scottish Rifles

He is buried and commemorated at the Tyne Cot cemetery.

If anyone can tell me what action his Battalion were involved in early January and what specific attack he may have died in it would help me greatly.

thanks in advance,

Frank

Frank

Welcome to the forum

On the 5th of January the 1st Battalion occupied a village called Hamburg on the Western end of the Passchendale Ridge. Two companies were concentrated in shelters whilst the other two were employed as carrying parties. This would have been part of the regular routine of trench life.

"The area was shelled regularly and there were four or five casualties daily"

One of these would have been your relative. He is listed as killed in action so I suspect very much that he was killed by shellfire.

They seem to have remained in the line until the 19th

Hope this is of interest

Hambo

Hambo

Many thanks for your prompt response. The information you provided helps me greatly.

regards,

Frank

Frank

Welcome to the forum

On the 5th of January the 1st Battalion occupied a village called Hamburg on the Western end of the Passchendale Ridge. Two companies were concentrated in shelters whilst the other two were employed as carrying parties. This would have been part of the regular routine of trench life.

"The area was shelled regularly and there were four or five casualties daily"

One of these would have been your relative. He is listed as killed in action so I suspect very much that he was killed by shellfire.

They seem to have remained in the line until the 19th

Hope this is of interest

Hambo

Quick vaguely related query, but am I right in thinking that, as far as the two Regular battalions were concerned, that one was always referred to as 'Cameronian' and the other 'Scottish Rifles', and that this distinction was jealously guarded?