Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry, Photo, info Please?

Peter1

Tim,

I have taken the liberty of passing around your enhanced colour photo and EVERYONE was amazed at how the colour brought the picture to life - very well done indeed!

Thanks for the link to the software, I must try it myself.

I can see a possible new career for you with this!!

Regards.

Peter.

Do you happen to know how much they charge for a copy of a photograph?

David,

For a photocopy of a photograph I seem to remember it's fifty pence. If you want a scanned copy on a disk, it's £5... but I can't remember if the second and more photos are a little cheaper because you've already paid for the disk!

David T.

David,

For a photocopy of a photograph I seem to remember it's fifty pence.  If you want a scanned copy on a disk, it's £5... but I can't remember if the second and more photos are a little cheaper because you've already paid for the disk!

David T.

Thanks,

David. I will investigate next time I am visiting my parents in Peterlee.

• 3 years later...
post-8382-1129499763.jpg Hello to all,

Following my recent acquisition of some photographs of family history members from an Aunt, here is a photo of two of my grandmother's mother's brother's who were killed during WW1.

The two men are George and Thomas Boggon who both served in the DLI and both of whom I knew nothing about until very recently. Unfortunately, unless any member can let me know otherwise, I do no know which of them is Thomas and which is George. Sorry about the condition of the photo - thats how I received it!

The 1901 census shows :-

Michael Boggon, Head, married, aged 40 yrs, born Houghton Le Spring.

Ann Boggon, Wife, married aged 39 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

William Boggon, Son, single, aged 16 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

Henry Boggon, Son, single, aged 14 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole

Margaret Boggon, Daughter, Single, aged 12 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

George Boggon, Son, aged 10 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

Thomas Boggon, Son, aged 8 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

Dorothy Boggon, Daughter, aged 4 yrs, born Hetton Le Hole.

Norman Boggon, Son, aged 2 yrs, born hetton le Hole.

Barbara Boggon, Daughter, aged 3 mnths, born Hetton Le Hole.

The CWGC site has the following ;-

Private Henry Boggon, 15528, 15th Bn., Durham Light Infantry, who died aged 32,

6th October 1917. Son of Michael and Annie Boggon of Sunderland; Husband of Annabel Boggon, of 35 James St., Southwick, Sunderland. Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.

Lance Corporal George Boggon, 14136, 14th Bn., Durham Light Infantry, who died 24th September 1916. Thiepval Memorial.

Private T Boggon, 14138, 14th Bn., Durham Light Infantry, died 7th November 1915. ST.Sever Cemetery, Rouen.

The Soldiers Died CD shows the following additional information; -

Henry died of wounds, France & Flanders, born Hetton Le Hole, Enlisted Sunderland.

George killed in action, France and Flanders, born Hetton , Enlisted Sunderland.

Thomas died of wounds, France & Flanders, born Hetton, Enlisted Sunderland.

It does seem that George and Thomas probably enlisted together, as did many other brothers.

I have the medal cards from the National archives site but I do not see any further information on them.

My Aunt seems to recall that Norman was in the DLI but I can find nothing of him or William on the CWGC or Soldiers Died CD.

Margaret on the census went on to marry John Stewart who I believe to be the man in the photo on my initial post, reference Royal Field Artillery. So it would seem that Margaret had a Husband and three brothers killed in WW1. One of many similar incidents I am sure, but very sad nonetheless.

If anyone has any information to add or can correct me on any detail then I would be very grateful. I am sure that this is a familiar story for many members and the photos may not be very interesting to some but for a new member who has just been handed a group of photos of family he never knew existed, the desire to learn more is very strong.

This all started with two photos I was shown for the first time both depicting crosses above graves believed to be taken shortly after WW1, one of which shows the ID. No. of Thomas Boggon. I will start a separate post later showing the crosses in the hope that the cross on other photo may be identifiable to members.

Many Thanks to Steve for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards.

Peter.

Hello Peter

Having put Durham Light Infantry Boggon into my web browser yesterday I found your posting with pictures of my Grandfathers Uncles! My Grandfather being the only son of Henry Boggon, elder brother to George and Thomas.

I realise that adding to this string is a bit of a long shot (as it is dated Oct 2005) but I wondered if you may have any other photos or information relating to Henry Boggon and indeed Michael and Ann Boggon? I believe Ann's maiden name was Liddle but am trying to get this confirmed.

Regards

Derek