Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Border Regiment

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could anyone please tell me where they were and what they were involved in on this date.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi,

Just bumping this back up to the top.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

1st Borders were in the Le Transloy sector and on 27th January carried out a very successful local attack, which netted some 370 prisoners. This is from the letters of Walter Ewbank, who was acting 2ic of the Battalion.

Charles M

Hi Charles,

Very many thanks for that. Does it give any idea as to how many casualties the 1st Borders took that day ?

Cheers

Tim.

137 casualties. (inc 4 officers and 10 men killed). Sgt E.J.Mott won the VC. He rushed a machine gun, single handed, took the machine gunner prisoner and captured the gun which had been holding up his company. Phil B

Hi Phil,

Very many thanks for the information, it is of great interest. Sounds like a very brave man !!

Cheers

Tim.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

One of my relatives Pte John BEETHAM was killed in the same action on 27 January 1917. He was a strecher bearer at the time. The War diary says they were attacking the Landwehr Trench south of Le Transloy.

The attack started at 5.30am in company with 1/R Inniskillings Fus. "Zero Hour. Ourselves & 1/R. Inniskillings Fue. on right attacked portion of LANDWEHR TRENCH, S of LE TRANSLOY." By 7.30am it states "Prisoners starting to come through. Reports received that 1st & 2nd objectives gained. 117 prisoners passed Btn HQ ANTELOPE TRENCH".

Does anyone know where these trenches were at that time. I am going to visit the area in June and it would be very helpful to know where they would have been. Long ploughed over by now I am sure. Pte BEETHAM was buried on 28 January 1917, but his grave has since been lost, so he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial. If anyone has any scanned maps showing the trench lines at the time it would be very helpful. Also if anyone would like a scanned copy of the war diary quoted above I would be more than happy to send it.

Thanks.

Hello. Landwehr & Antelope are flagged on the trench map, between LesBoeufs & Le Transloy. Hate to disappoint you but there are now the AI and a railway line between them! Also Farmer Giles has his fields in crop and you wouldn't be able to walk them. I was in Les Boeufs last month and could only look from a distance at the place my man was killed. On the good side, that in itself made the journey worthwhile. If you'd like to email me at JohnCubin@aol.com, I'll send you some modern maps to show you the present day layout.

post-2613-1210156071.jpeg