Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Closing cemetery

clairec79

Qoute:(Post 24)

" suspect that so far as the specific property is concerned we are all trying too hard. The CWGC have information about access, and their interest will be noted. They are unlikely to do more in the short term than just maintain a watching brief, but I do feel that we should respect their professionalism and await their reply to Terry".

Not if the statements made in Posts 1and 3 are anything to go by.

"If a cemetery has been closed for 50+ years and the gravestones are due to be removed (Church has been sold off)"

And

"Am trying to convince new owner to leave his grave as a memorial (eg surround it with something and lay wreath etc on 11/11) which I think is more likely as there is only 1 (I think the other two she originally mentioned must have been people who died during WW1 not because of it) whereas if it had been a few that had been spread around then they probably would have been needed to place together for this to happen)"

Whilst the graveyard does contain one formal CWGC war grave my concerns also extend to all of the graves here.

Norman

Norman

You will have a massive undertaking. many graveyards have been cleared, and undoubtedly many more will be. I have a particular interest in a very significant one, Undercliffe cemetery in my home town. At one stage it was sold for a pittance to a builder, who was interested in it not as a development site, but as a source of stone. Eventually his depredations were stopped after hundreds at least had been removed by the man, and the cemetery eventually passed into the hands of a specially formed charity which works hard to preserve it.

Many churches, and possibly chapels, I am not sure, have cleared almost all of the memorials to create open space; I live close to one in Portsmouth, and have photographed a war grave in Idle (again Bradford) in a large cemetery which now contains not one tenth of its original monuments. In that case the CWGC have a special memorial to one man whose family grave I presume was removed because of its condition. http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/46324/IDLE%20%28HOLY%20TRINITY%29%20CHURCHYARD

There must be hundreds of others such locations.

Keith.

Keith that is why I have posted a positive example of such cases in my Post 21. I am not trying to save the graveyard in question from inappropriate clearance and development as I am sure that if the local people including members of the Chapel are concerned then they will take whatever action they can to protect the place. I am merely trying to bring some clarity to this particular case and by doing so hopefully improve our knowledge and understanding of these situations as and when they arise.

Norman

A sad state. Overgrown graveyard and broken windows on chapel. Can not find any sign to note who current owner is. Bit odd as I had jump over one gate(to the amusement of my girlfriend!) but walked easy enough out of another! It does appear to be traffic of visitors with some graves tended. This could be a good sign for the graveyard. On quick inspection there appeared to be deaths/graves from the late 80's.

I located the Cwgc grave. Overgrown with grass but the stone is in very good condition. Please find attached a few photos.

post-21175-0-67651500-1351450845_thumb.j

Thanks for your report, "overgrown" seems an apt description for the War Grave. Please keep up the good work and meanwhile we wait to hear from the CWGC.

Regards

Norman

From the CWGC (Below)

It looks as though this place will continue to deteriorate as it has done since 2005, perhaps the local people will be motivated to take up the case and as in my example already posted try to persuade the local authority to purchase the graveyard or at least bring pressure to bear on the owner to maintain it in a reasonable condition.

In this particular case I note from my file that the land was sold in 2005. I have checked with the Land Registry today and there has been no further change of ownership.If a Planning Application is made then the Local Authority (in most cases) notify us of the application as an interested party. As far as I am aware there is no current planning application for this land. The current Owner is aware of the Commission’s interest; but I would mention that the Commission has no rights over the building and land in question and our only remit would be to ensure that the Casualty continues to be commemorated. We will of course continue to monitor the War Grave and the land it occupies in case this situation changes. At that time we would seek to liaise with the owner to arrive at a suitable agreement concerning the War Grave.I do not feel I am in a position to comment on the other graves on this site. I hope this clarifies the position at this time. If you have any questions please let me know”.

Yours Sincerely

Cheryl Barker

Fleet and Information Services Administrator

Regards

Norman

Won't take me long but I will go in and clear the brambles away from the grave area. Other graves are being tended and signs of pathways. The chapel has smashed windows but entry is very secure, with houses very near. So further vandalism should not be a problem.

Good man, thanks for your efforts. I have no idea why someone would buy the chapel and graveyard and then do nothing for seven years. It could I suppose have been bought by the new owner in order that it was preserved but surely in that case there would at least have been a contact phone number displayed somewhere on the site. Sound like a "Friends of the Chapelyard" organization is needed, at least to ensure that the present owner is held to any covenants regarding the maintenance of the graveyard.

Best Wishes

Norman

Well done indeed. Great, and heartening to see. :)

Members should know that Scalyback has been furnished with information regarding the probable ownership of the Chapel and Graveyard. Information that the member who supplied same and myself deem not for public consumption at this time as we are not completely happy that it accurately reflects the current situation.

Norman

Seadog,

Further follow up this week. Will PM you details in said week. Bit annoyed this week, as went for a small cycle ride with the other half and come across a chapel with graveyard in the ar*eend of no where. Every single grave was clean and well cared for! However needless to say, Levi will not be forgotten by me.