Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liaison 1914

truthergw

I've put Sheffield & Bourne's " Douglas Haig " aside for a bit to inwardly digest. In the meantime, I thought I'd go back to an old favourite. I had forgotten just how good this is. Always scrupulous in his references and heaps of appendices in the back for the " just the facts, ma'am " folks amongst us. The book itself though reads like a novel. A real page turner. Forget the Da Vinci Code, when you are sitting in the French GHQ waiting for the latest reports, that's real excitement.

Couldn't agree more- superb book and the detail is quite astounding.

What comes across is the way the French nearly "psyched" themselves out of the war and Joffre getting some of his Generals by the scruff of the neck to do what he wanted.

Also a lot of the "over imaginative" and "we're doomed" reasoning at all levels both French and British.

Shows how minds work when there is no definitive intelligence on which to base ideas both the positive and the negative. Too much of the latter in some cases.

I've got this book at home, bought it ages ago and still haven't read it. I have heard its required reading for anyone into World War One. Some have stated that Spears saved the British Army from being anihalited at Mons.

It is a truly superb book. The drama that is aroused - few authors can achieve this. It is an overstatement to say that Spears saved the BEF at Mons. Although Sir John French was more minded to push on, Haig had recognised the major threat posed by the BEF's exposed right flank. Accordingly, 1st Corps were stretched back, thereby refusing that flank. Spear's feedback about Lanrezac's intentions was very timely. But not life-saving IMHO.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested there are a few copies available on ebay. I just got a copy myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

regards

Arm