Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cemeteries and Memorials

tonycad

For me, visiting cemetries and studying the graves is a solemn and informative exercise, but on occasions, as in the attached photograph, I think a lttle more care could be taken with epitaphs.

Tony

post-4728-1129482145.jpg

As these were supposed to be paid for, for the poorest of families even this would have represented a significant expense. Brevity but compassion was the order of the day.

Steve

Not quiet what the Lady was after I am sure, but I bet it gave him a titter!

regards

Arm

Thank you Pals for your comments and observations on this thread,

To have the last word, I think a little editing would have helped with the intent of the words, as would perhaps a little thought to the spacing. There was no rush at the time, so a postage stamp may have helped - or am I carping.

T <_< ny

No editing of Personal Inscriptions was permitted provided they were not abusive etc.

The wording and spacing was to a set formula and so, once given the inscription by the relatives, then the result was inevitable.

Obviously nobody at the time read it the way you did!

And presumably whoever carved the inscription on the stone did not have English as their first language.

A slightly unfortunate turn of phrase, but really who is to say. It may have been in error or it may have been an "in joke" among the family(not all people wish to be remembered in sorrow).