The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain William Eric Nixon RFC

Chris_Baker

19 year old Captain William Eric Nixon, 40 Squadron RFC and formerly King's Own Scottish Borderers, was killed in action on 7 May 1917.

His CWGC reference is at http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=534046

Can anyone please give me more details about this officer or the circumstances of his death?

This is posted on behalf of Loic Coet, who lives near Nixon's grave in Masny. Loic posseses a photograph of Nixon's burial and is interested in finding out more.

Gazette extracts:

LG 7-6-1916

Flying Officers.—

29th Apr. 1916.

2nd Lt. W. E. Nixon, K. O. Sco. Bord., and to be secd.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

-----

LG 8-12-1916

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —

Flight Comdrs.—

The appt. of Lt. (temp. Capt.) E. R. Pretyman, Som. L.I., notified

in the Gazette of 11th Oct. 1916, is antedated to 12th Sept. 1916.

From Flying Officers, and to be temp. Capts. whilst so empld.: —

2nd Lt. J. R. Gould, 2nd Regt., King Edward's Horse, Spec. Res". 17th Sept. 1916.

2nd Lt. W. E. Nixon, K. 0. Sco. Bord. 14th Nov. 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

-----

Steve.

Airmen Died

Flying a Nieuport 17 Number B1631 on a Special Mission, left at 0858. Combat Fresnes. Intially MIA later KIA.

A patrol of 40 Sqn attacked kite balloons for a second time in a week using very low ground hugging approach to come upon their targets unobserved. A formation of Triplanes also flew high up to distract attention. Seven balloons were claimed destroyed but Nixon was lost and many others were shot up.

40 Sqn were based at Bruay.

NB Mick Mannock also flew on this mission and recorded his first victory shooting down a kite balloon

Chris

A little more information.

"He entered Sandhurst by nomination May 1915."

"He was buried by the German Divisional Chaplain,with Military Honours in the churchyard at Masny,near Douai,on May 11th 1917."

Taken from Royal Flying Corps Casualties and Honours During The War of 1914-17

published August 1917.

Regards Doug.

Chris

On that date 40 sqn were based at Bruay

All The Best

Chris

Chris

In 1916, Lt W E Nixon served as a DH 2 pilot in No 24 Sqn; he was mentioned in RFC Communiqué No 54 for his part in an action on 15 September 1916 when Lts Byrne, Mackay and Nixon fought 17 enemy machines, downing two (both credited to Lt Byrne). Lt W E Nixon was wounded on 15 October.

The 7 May 1917 raid in which Capt Nixon was killed involved 7 Nieuports from No 40 Sqn (Capt Nixon and 2Lts L L Morgan, C S Hall, C W Cudemore, H B Redler, E Mannock and J Parry). To distract the defences, British artillery fired a barrage at German trenches while twelve other British aeroplanes (the Triplanes mentioned by John) flew at high altitude. Of the seven balloons claimed destroyed, three caught fire in the air, two burst into flames near the ground and the other two burned on the ground.

I hope this helps

Gareth

• 9 years later...

attention Chris Baker

I am carrying out some research into my great uncle , Captain William eric NIXON, who was an RFC pilot in the first world war . he was killed in action over Enemy lines in 1917 and was was buried by the Germans with full military honours in Masny churchyard, Douai , France . From your message board , one of the locals , Loic Coet , has a photo of his funeral ceremony . Could you send me datails of this person, so i can get in touch ? I am keen to get a copy of this photo as it is of value in my research .

Thanks for your help

Regards

Peter Nixon

David Gunby, who is my good friend and author of that excellent history of 40 Squadron - Sweeping the Skies, has asked me to post this information on this thread on his behalf:

Nixon was leading seven others on a special mission to down balloons. All were downed, but all aircraft got pretty severely shot up, and Nixon was caught, isolated, by several enemy aircraft at low level and shot down after a long fight. See Sweeping the Skies, p24.

I have noted that Chris Baker was looking for futher information about Capt William Eric Nixon and his service in World War 1.He was a relative of mine and I am trying to piece together his war service . He was killed in action near Arras in Northern France on 7 th May 1917 , and was buried by the Germans, with military houours, in the church yard at Masny , near Douai . Chris Bakers message says that one of the locals at Masny has a photo of the burial service . Could any one tell me how I can contact Luic Coet , who has the photo? this would be of great value to be in my research . Maybe you can help , Chris , as you appear to have been in touch with Mr Coet .

Thanks in anticipation

peter nixon

• 1 year later...

If anyone sees this who is in touch with Peter Nixon or anyone else seeking information about William Nixon, please could you let them know that I have school archives, rugby team photo and other extracts from the school's Barrovian magazine of the time which I am happy to share? 

I would also be grateful to receive any other information about him to help me piece together his story for our Facebook Remembrance page https://www.facebook.com/KWCBuchanRemember and our school archives.

I would be particularly interested in seeing Loic Coet's photograph of his funeral mentioned above.

Many thanks,

Alison

• 1 year later...
On 17/04/2015 at 21:30, pnix said:

I have noted that Chris Baker was looking for futher information about Capt William Eric Nixon and his service in World War 1.He was a relative of mine and I am trying to piece together his war service . He was killed in action near Arras in Northern France on 7 th May 1917 , and was buried by the Germans, with military houours, in the church yard at Masny , near Douai . Chris Bakers message says that one of the locals at Masny has a photo of the burial service . Could any one tell me how I can contact Luic Coet , who has the photo? this would be of great value to be in my research . Maybe you can help , Chris , as you appear to have been in touch with Mr Coet .

Thanks in anticipation

peter nixon

Peter, I now have Loic Coet's contact details and he is happy for me to pass them on to you. Please contact me via email (delete the gaps): chris_baker_uk @ hotmail.com