Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

One more old WW1 photo

sherlock

This one is fairly self explanatory, a group of wartime nurses photographed in 1917...

53001021_153204a934.jpg

Link to the larger size where the sign can be read much easier... http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=53001021&size=l

I suppose the only question is where these nurses are from, or did they group nurses in country groups at all back then?

Thanks again...

The picture at the front says QFDFd, On War Service 1917, RL. You can see letters on a coiple of the armbands...but only partially MJ(?)... WD(?)...

Although some of these ladies have a cross on their caps, I am not at all sure they are nurses. Ancillaries, perhaps.

I think they might be munitions workers.

Regards,

Jon

I think the initials are QFCFd.

could the 'C' stand for Canteen workers or Canadian Forces.

I wonder if the partial figure on the extreme right could have given a clue. Is he playing a piano/harmonium. If so, are these girls fellow workers who have formed themselves into a choir?

Some more information to add that may help (based on the munitions workers idea),

The back of the picture indicates that it was printed at...

Tasma Studios 99, Wellington St, Woolwich (I believe a U.K. location)

Was there possibly a munitions factory there? I imagine those records exist...

I'm sure you guys probably knew this but... found this link off BBC site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2354834

What a great picture thanks for posting it. My first thought even before reading the others were munitions workers. Blowing parts of it up with some soft ware the first letter is definately O and the broad arrow certainly indicates government markings as applied to all munitions and parts. I fancy, Chris, the armband on the lady on the left says MU ??munitions/ I also note many of the girls are wearing what looks like a small triangular badge, any pal any idea what that might be?

Woolwich was the site of Woolwich arsenal but as production expanded and the photo shows 1917 numerous shell filling stations or factories were established where the cases got filled with nasty stuff.

Great photo where did you get it from?? SG

I picked this up a collectors show here in Calgary, Alberta (Canada), paid $4 for it as well... This picture could have come over when a British lady emigrated here which has happened many times...

Since I'm just simply a collector, I'm more than willing to allow publication/use of it by people who will find it useful and historical. I like to keep the original copy of it generally.

I like to pick old war/soldier pictures - in honour of those won my freedom, I don't always know how to identify them (ie. country of origin, rank, etc...) I have quite a few but I think most of them are WWII era, which isn't the focus of this forum here, unless some of you have knowledge in those areas as well. I would like to identify them as much as possible. Like this one... no information on it whatsoever, one of my favourites...

7483971_21faa40597.jpg

What a great picture thanks for posting it. My first thought even before reading the others were munitions workers. Blowing parts of it up with some soft ware the first letter is definately O and the broad arrow certainly indicates government markings as applied to all munitions and parts. I fancy, Chris, the armband on the lady on the left says MU  ??munitions/ I also note many of the girls are wearing what looks like a small triangular badge, any pal any idea what that might be?

Woolwich was the site of Woolwich arsenal but as production expanded and the photo shows 1917 numerous shell filling stations or factories were established where the cases got filled with nasty stuff.

The triangular badge is of the same pattern as the "on war serice badge" with pin as issued to female munitions workers, and those in other occupations, from 1916 onwards. I have my Grandmother's who worked in small factory in Mitcham that turned to making muntions. I'm sure if this was posted on the "women in the great war" "section you would have had a quicker repsonse.

Regards,

Chris.

post-1298-1129494754.jpg

Hi

on the right of the good ladies banner is the Letters R & L, either side of the goverments crows foot mark I am sure that the R. L. stands for Royal Laboratories so I think they could well be munitions workers.

Gareth

The caption on the back of this picture states "Munitions Inspection Department, Royal Arsenal Woolwich.

The armband is MID and indicates the above.

Cheers

post-76-1129694571.jpg

I picked this up a collectors show here in Calgary, Alberta (Canada), paid $4 for it as well....I don't always know how to identify them (ie. country of origin, rank, etc...)  I have quite a few but I think most of them are WWII era,

jtworow,

The soldier you posted is Royal Signals - as you say, looks WW2 era.

Stuart

jtworow,

Hi the picture is a Royal Signals 2/Lt and the period is WW 2 to the early 1950s.

Rob