Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died in the Great War

Doug Lewis

Doug

Could you lookup Martin Olave Ray. 1st Battalion, Kings Own Scottish Borderers - Thanks

Keith

Keith

Born- Bermondsey,London

Enlisted- Croydon Surrey

Residence- Wallington,Surrey. Killed in Action 4/6/15 Dardanelles.

Regards Doug.

Thanks for the prompt reply - all adds to the picture - he was my wife's great uncle

Keith

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am searching for any information on James McIntosh 3/6814 2nd Btn Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders who was KIA 18/08/1916 and is noted at the Thiepval Memorial. Anything on what happened the day he was killed and possibly how. I presume shelling or shot and then shelling destroyed the body or covered it?? I have his MIC and his Service Records but they dont go into any detail of what happened.

Would appreciate any guidance

thanks

Robert

On the 18 August 1916 the 2nd A&SH attacked High Wood.

The Battalion attacked the German trenches in High Wood at 2.45 pm. The attack was proceeded by an artillery bombardment at irregular intervals during the 17th and 18th and was going to be supported by two Flamethrowers , which were unfortunately put out of action by our own shell fire before the commencement of the attack. Backed by oil firers the attack was launched at the given hour, but was met by heavy Machine Gun fire and a certain amount of bombing.

The Companies attacked in the following order from right to left C. D. B. with A. in support. Only a few men of B Company managed to get into the German trench and were eventually forced to withdraw to our own front line and in the end the position was exactly the same as before the attack.

Casualties Officers 4 killed and 4 wounded. Other Ranks 26 killed, 119 wounded and 36 missing.

Sorry I meant to send you this but I deleted my PM box and couldn't remember your name!

Hi

Thanks for your reply

Do you know which company he would have been in?

So he possibly would have been shot and then shelled/buried with no grave and lost in further fighting?

appreciate your help

thanks

Robert

Hi

thanks for your reply

As I only have dial-up at the moment I will wait to look at that until I get broadband as I think the file sizes and all the pages will take heaps to download!

Is it also possible to get a map of the area with trenches marked/

Can anyone guide me as where to look?

thanks

Robert

Hi

Would anyone have a copy of SDGW and be able to look up the James McIntosh mentioned above and send me a copy of the details. I just want to confirm what I already have and this looks like the best way to do it

thanks

Robert

Hi Robert, not sure about date?

SDGW says March

CWGC August,

3/6814 James McIntosh

Born Canongate Edinburgh

Residence Edinburgh Midlothian

Death 18/3/1916

2nd Bn A & SH

Killed in Action

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for looking that up

I have come across that error before - presume someone mistook 8 for 3

everything else says August so will stick with that.

Also can you tell me with the map where it fits in with the area around it? Near Thiepval?

I presume the Germans are in the top left hand side above the words High Wood and our trenches are

where B D & C are written? I have never read them before so want to clarify what is on it.

Also can you have a look in SDGW for his brother- noted in Royal Scots thread? thanks

I appreciate your help

regards

Robert

Hi Robert, I take it you mean Peter?

Peter McIntosh

Born Edinburgh

Residence Edinburgh

Death date 25/4/1916

Pte 15822

Battalion 11th

KIA

Regarding High Wood, am not 100% certain. I will have another look at the diary.

Someone else might be able to help you more.

Nightmare trying to do research on dial-up? :huh:

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

yes dialup is a pain

thanks for your info

It was Peter and confirms what I have

Thanks for attack note too- very interesting

Any more guidance I would appreciate

thanks

Robert