Soldiers Died in the Great War

Doug Lewis

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is there any chance you can look up the following for me please:

George Parkes died Dec 1941

Alan Parkes died Jan 1942 aged 19

Both served on SS Recluse

Sorry this is the only information I have.

Thanks

Deb

Deb

These are casualties of the second world war,so I'm unable to help.

Regards Doug

Deb

These are casualties of the second world war,so I'm unable to help.

Regards Doug

OK thanks anyway Doug, I have managed to find a little information myself.

Regards

Deb

Hi if the offer is still open i am looking for Alec (Alexander) Macleod Seaforth Highlanders died 1915 aged 21 from Altass, Sutherland

Thanks in advance

Allan

I have SDGW CD.

Willing to do look ups.

Doug

Allan

There is no record of him on SDGW.

Regards Doug.

Hi if the offer is still open i am looking for Alec (Alexander) Macleod Seaforth Highlanders died 1915 aged 21 from Altass, Sutherland

Thanks in advance

Allan

could this be your man?

1415 pte alexander mcleod 4th seaforths died of wound france and flanders 11/8/15

born creich, sutherlandshire

enlisted tain, ross-shire

hi doug

thanks for oferring your time to help with the look ups can you please help with any further info on my previous post in another topic copied below

hi folks new here,

i have been trying mainly in vain to find some info on my father in laws gg uncle pte john may regt number 8069 who was a private in the second battalion of the royal dublin fusiliers so far i found where he is buried in bards cemetaery died 6th july 1915 landed in france 24/3/15 but need help to get anything else or is that all i will get online as i am not able to travel to the uk in the forseeable future to check if there are any service records also anyone know if he died on above dates do u reckon this would have anything to do with the battles of ypress died of wounds which doesnt mention when he was wounded so not sure.

any help greatly appreciated

alan murphy

Alan

I cannot add much more to your information other than John was born Crumlin Co. Dublin. The date of his death would suggest he received his wounds during Second Battles of Ypre.

Regards Doug.

Does SDGW throw up anything on the following :

EMMERSON A W Sergeant

EMMERSON J H 2nd Lieutenant

EMMERSON M Lieutenant

EMMERSON R H Sergeant

I can find nothing on them on CWGC. The men are listed on The Barnard Castle Roll of Honour but so far they have eluded me. I believe SDGW does not list ranks above sergeant (?) but wondered ifyou could throw any light on the two Sergeants. All men are Barnard castle born I think - possibly from the same family. Many thanks

Jarvis

There are no entries for your men (Officers or Other Ranks) in either SDGW or in ODGW.

Regards Doug.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new at using this forum so I apologise in advance if I'm doing anything wrong.

I am researching my family history and I have a lot of males who 'disappear' around the time of the Great war. I was wondering if somebody could give me any information on soldiers with the surname BEEBEE who were killed / injured during WW1?

I know that my G,Great Uncle was Joseph Harold Beebee and was killed in 1914 - He was with 2 Bat Gren Guards - any more info on him would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my Grandad ( Joseph's brother) was Ezekiel Beebee and served with 2 Bat South Staffs - he was injured and survived but if there is anyone with any additional info on his unit then again, greatly appreciated!

Finally, any Beebee info would be really helpful!

Many Thanks, Sam

Puncture.uk@gmail.com

Sam

Joseph Harold Beebee Guardsman 13048

Born-Rushall

Enlisted-Walsall

Killed in Action.

ALFRED BEEBEE,Corporal 14956

18th Sqdn. Royal Flying Corps

Died 29/04/1917 age18

Service No: 14956

Additional information: Croix de Guerre (France). Son of George and Alice Beebee, of 119, Broad St., Birmingham.

ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

FRANK ALFRED BEEBEE, Lance Corporal 1843

1st/13th Kensington Bn. London Regiment

Enlisted-Kensington Resident-Harlesdon

Killed in Action 01/07/1916 age 24

Additional information: Son of the late John Beebee and of Sarah Beebee, of 5, Nightingale Rd., Harlesden, London.

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Pier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C.

Thomas Frank BEEBEE Private 41936

5th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Born Ettingshall,enlisted Wolverhampton

Died 16/10/1918

BILSTON CEMETERY Grave Reference:A. 2400.1.

Remembered on here on my site-

http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.u...priestfield.htm

Regards Doug.

That's great, much appreciated Doug. The first chap you found for me was my Great Uncle - he was in the 2nd Bn. Grenadiers. He was born in Walsall (I think Rushall is very close to Walsall). I have a lot of information on him but not much of it being military. How did you find out that he enlisted in Walsall? I always thought that, at the time, the Grenadiers had a 'catchment area'?

Do any of you folks now a good resource for finding old photographs? In particular 2nd Gren. Guards or 2nd S. Staffs around 1914-1918?

Secondly, is there a way of either a) Requesting replacement medals of a deceased relative from the MoD (for a direct decendant) , or B.) Tracking down medals that were either i. Lost ii. Stolen iii. Sold on or simply 'floating' between dealer to collector?

Thanks for your help, Sam

I have SDGW CD.

Willing to do look ups.

Doug

Grateful if you could look up the following for me please (my wife's grandmother's cousins).

9552 Thomas Potter S.H. from Abercorn, died 13 Oct 1914 (his iinitial is given as J on CWGC but name is Thomas on SNWM and the local memorial) - his number is the same though

26/1099 Wlliam Potter N.Z.C.B. from Woodend, died 30 Mar 1918

Thanks in advance

spoons

Thomas Potter

Born- Abercorne,Linlithgowshire

Enlisted - South Queensferry,Linlithgowshire

Killed in Action

SDGW only covers British soldiers, I have posted CWGC info if you haven't already got it.

WILLIAM POTTER

New Zealand

Private 26/1099 New Zealand Cyclist Battalion

Date of Death: 30/03/1918 age 29

Son of the late Peter and Agnes Potter, of Society, Hopetoun, South Queensferry, West Lothian, Scotland.

HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY Grave/Memorial Reference: IXA. C. 2.

Regards Doug.

Doug - thanks very much, helps to confirm the info I have including his name being Thomas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

My first post as a newbie.

I am researching my grandmothers brother, Private 1150 James S Bennett 16th(Service)Battalion(St Pancras) Rifle Brigade.

From the CWGC site I have learned that he died on 7th August 1916 and is buried in Gorre British & Indian Cemetery. The site does not give any information as to whether he was killed in action or died of his wounds.

Is this something that you could clarify for me?

Further I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn where James saw action.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith

SDGW does not tell you much more than you know already. He was killed in action.

You may be better off with his unit diary from the National Archives

It costs £8.50 to download and they supply 10 pages. You can ask for specific dates ie From August 1916. Soldiers are rarely mentioned by name but it may give you a better idea of what was going on.

Keith

Keith

As already stated SDGW has nothing more than you have already.

James Stephen Bennett

Born,enlisted,resident- St Pancras Middx. Killed in Action.

Regards Doug.

Hi

Doug

Could you please look for me one Henry Joseph Goss Born 1895 Poplar London England.

K.I.A. at Battle of Passchendaele: 31 July - 6 November 1917?Lance Corporal HENRY JOSEPH GOSS

Service Number:16522, 19th Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

who died age 23 and is buried at TYNE COT Cemetery BELGIUM

Thanks

steve

Thought I would respond as not doing anything else except wait for wife to sort her hair for the day.

Henry Joseph Goss

L/cpl 16522

b Poplar Middx

eStratford

r Canning Town

Date died 25/09/17

Died How? KIA

Theatre F&F

Formerly 6516 Middx Regt

Mick