Died of Wounds.

Regards Doug.

Thanks for that Doug, much appreciated

All the best

Spider

I have SDGW CD.

Willing to do look ups.

Doug

Could I have a look up please trying to get as much information on my Grand Uncle Hugh Carrigan.

7217, Pte, Hugh Carrigan. Killed in Action 18/07/16. 2nd Battalion Cameronians Scottish Rifles France.

I am at present building my family history and as all the generation that knew Hugh are all gone so I cannot get information about him. It would be great if I could add how and where he died so as to keep the memory of him alive for years to come and be handed down to my own descendents.

Thanking you in advance

Robert Carrigan (hudggy)

Robert

7217, Pte, Hugh Carrigan

Born- Barony,Glasgow

Enlisted- Hamilton

Resident-Glasgow

Killed in Action.

Regards Doug.

Robert

7217, Pte, Hugh Carrigan

Born- Barony,Glasgow

Enlisted- Hamilton

Resident-Glasgow

Killed in Action.

Regards Doug.

Thanks you again Doug

Robert

Doug,

Please could you look up the 3 men of the 148th MGC who died with my great-uncle on 17th November 1917 during a heavy gas shell bombardment when their shelter sustained a direct hit. Unit is 148th Coy MGC and he was Pvt. John Thomas Clarke 114820

Thank you

Helen

Helen

You didn't say whether you wanted the info on your G.Uncle so I have included his.

John Thomas Clarke Born and Resident Bedworth,enlisted Nuneaton. Formerly 37710 Som Light Inf.

John Baptist William Falcon 18757 Private. Born Erith,Kent, Enlisted Hounslow and resident Belverdere, Kent.

Formerly 10921 Liverpool Rgt.

Thomas Froggart 35607 Private. Born and Resident Wednesfield (now part of Wolverhampton) Enlisted Lichfield. Formerly 15758N. Staffs Rgt.

Remembered here http://wolverhamptonwarmemorials.com/Wedne...illage-Memorial

I would like to know more about the incident that killed these men, to add it to my website entry for Thomas

James Thomson Holywell 66799. Born Duns,Berwick, Enlisted Aberfeldy. Formerly 34563 R.Scots.

Thomas Padden 114417 Private. Born Luddenfort, Yorks, enlisted Halifax.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Thank you for this.

From the war diary of the 148th MG Coy, November 1917 ... the Company had 2 days notice to relieve 146th MGCoy in Barrage position (12 guns) in J4c on 9th November. They set off from Steenvoode on 9th, camped the night at Dickebusche and had completed the relief in the line with 12 guns at J4c by 2pm on 10th. 4 guns retained in the rear with the Transport.

11th - Situation quiet.

12th - Positions shelled by high explosive and gas shells. 1 man wounded gassed. Maps handed over inaccurate, corrected by resection.

13th - Area around Gun Positions intermittantly shelled all day - gas shells and HE. 3 casualties - 2 wounded shell fire, 1 wounded remained on duty. Orders received 2:15pm to build emplacements for AA guns - remaining 4 guns to be used for this. Afternoon spent in reconnaisence for these positions. No material for the mountings or shelter for men available. Barrage guns laid on new target.

14th - Day spent collecting material for AA positions under great difficulty due to heavy shelling in vicinity. 1 man (attached) wounded. 1 gun out of action by shell fire, 2 emplacements blown in during night. 2 Vickers guns salved by order DMGO and sent to Salvage dump.

15th - Immediate vicinity of Barrage positions more heavily shelled - this increases daily. AA Battery in position by 3:30pm. Emplacements and shelters completed by working party. No 2 gun A Battery hit and put out of action 4:15pm. Shelling very heavy aound Coy HQ btwn 2-3:30pm - HE and gas shells. Hostile aircraft flew over positions during morning.

16th - 2 hostile aircraft flew over lines during morning - out of range for AA guns. Whole area covering 3 batteries very heavily shelled from 11am until Stand Down at night - mostly 5.9s and gas shells. No movement possible during the bombardment. Casualties - 1 killed, 1 wounded. Attached men ordered back to their units by Div Order.

17th - A very heavy gas shell bombardment was directed on our front during early hours of the morning, one shelter had direct hit. Casualties: 4 killled, 16 wounded gassed. The decrease in strength due to casualties greatly disorganised the work in the lines. The attached men from Infantry returned to their units. All available men sent into the line as reinforcements.

18th - enemy continue to shell heavily. All 3 batteries relieved by 146th MG Coy. relief started at 11am and completed by midnight.

Unfortunately, the diary doesn't have the location of the batteries, or shelters so I cannot identify the position of the direct hit further.

Thanks again

Helen

Helen

Thanks for the additional information.

Regards Doug.

Doug

I don't think your man was killed along with my great-uncle. I just checked on CWGC and found a Thomas Froggatt 35607 who is buried at Villers-Faucon Communal Extension Cemetary, which is in Somme. I couldn't find a Froggart listed on the CWGC.

The other 4 chaps are listed on the Tyne Cot memorial and have no known grave - as you might expect from reading the war diary.

Sorry,

Helen

Helen

Thanks anyway :)

Regards Doug.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Doug, Could you possibly look up my great grandfather nobody in my family knows how he died. Henry/Harry Ditchfiled his service number was 14130 and he served w/ Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 8th Battallion. Best Regards, Kerry.

Kerry

Harry Ditchfield

Born and Enlisted Warrington,Lancs

Killed in Action-19/5/16

Regards Doug.

Hi, Doug,

Please, can you look up these three brothers (for some additions):

ROBINSON Charles Fredrick (ASC 594 MT Coy) private , service n° MS/1566

Died Westouter 16.09.1917

ROBINSON James Alfred (RFA 12 Bty 35 Bde) gunner, service N° 11928

Both shared the same grave with two headstones in westoutre communal churchyard + extension. (Flanders)

A third brother, ROBINSON William Charles (Duke of Corwall’s Light Infantery, 7 Bn)

private 11928

Died 24.08.1916 and buried Longueval London Cy (Somme)

They were living at Bethnal Green or Bow (Tower Hamlets - London)

Thank you very much,

Marc

Marc

ROBINSON Charles Fredrick

Born-Stepney

Enlisted-London

Resident-Bow

Killed in Action

ROBINSON James Alfred

You have given me the same service no as William,so need the correct one for the search.

ROBINSON William Charles

Born-Stepney,London

Enlisted-Stratford Essex

Resident-Old Ford,London

Killed in Action

Regards Doug.

"ROBINSON James Alfred

You have given me the same service no as William,so need the correct one for the search."

Sorry, Doug,

now the correct service N°

ROBINSON James Alfred (RFA 12 Bty 35 Bde) gunner, service N° 81330

Thanks, you are a great help to my research

Regards

Marc.

Marc

James Robinson

Born- Stepney

Enlisted-Stratford,Essex

Killed in Action.

Regards Doug.

Private HARRY HAMLET

26768, 1st Bn., The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

who died age 36

on 10 September 1916

Son of William and Mary Ann Hamlet, of Middleton; husband of Mary Ellen Hamlet, of 14, Lower Cross St., Middleton, Manchester.

Any chance you could have a look for my Great Uncle, My dad also Harry Hamlet never mentioned him when he was alive :D

Guest Ian Tingay

Doug,

Re. - SDGW Look-up

Just wondering if you could look up my great-grandfather Gunner Percival Boulton 164368 who died 24/3/18.

We know he was in the 11th Siege Bty, RGA from the CWGC website but would like to know more if possible i.e. next of kin, DoB, where and when enlisted.

Hope you can help. Many thanks in advance for anything you can find.

Best Wishes,

Ian

Junior

I have already given this information in my answer to a thread you posted in soldiers.

Regards Doug.

Ian

Gunner Percival Boulton 164368

Born-Bradford

Enlisted-Ilford Essex.

Killed in Action.

Regards Doug.

Guest Ian Tingay

Doug,

Many thanks for the prompt look-up. We had always assumed our Percy was an Essex boy born and bred but now we find he is a Yorkshireman, that should open up some new avenues of research.

Where might be the best place to find next of kin, no living relative remembers Percy's wife's name, we just have the initials A.M.

Thanks again,

Ian

• 1 month later...

Just bringing it to the top.

Regards Doug.