Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died in the Great War

Doug Lewis

I have SDGW CD.

Willing to do look ups.

Doug

Doug I have a silly question. Does the CD only have English men of the BEF, or does it also have men who served with Canadian Expeditionary Force?

Peter

Peter,

Give me a name and I will have a look.

garyem1

Gary, Pte. Mikhail (Michael) Greschuk, missing presumed dead 1917-08-21.

Peter

Peter,

Sadly it only covers men serving in British units and excludes RFC/RAF and Naval personnel. It also excludes, therefore, members of the RND. Also you cannot distinguish units for members of the artillery, with RFA and RHA mixed together indiscriminately.

This is not a complaint as it's an excellent resource, but like all resources it has its limitations.

Andrew

P.S. Also quite happy to do look-ups.

• 5 months later...

Private

MICHAEL GRESCHUK

who died on August 21, 1917.

Military Service:

Service Number: 417825

Force: Army

Regiment: Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)

Unit: 29th Bn.

Additional Information:

Son of Peter Gryszczuk, of Antonowka. Rozyszcze, Co. of Luck, Wolyn, Poland.

I hope this helps, See my post on ww1 war dead databases.

Regards

Tom Burnell

A little extra on Greschuk...

He was born on February 10th 1895 in Burochuce-Wolenskoy in Russia.

His NOK was detailed as his brother, Ivan Greschuk, still living in Russia (his father, Petro's, details being scrubbed out of his attestation form for some reason).

He was a labourer by trade and attested into the 57th Bn (originally in the 87th Bn) CEF at Montreal on September 16th 1915.

His religion was Russian Orthodox.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug

Would you look for a John William Morgan who served in the RFA. On the CWGC site we can find only 1 possible match but it gives no other information that we can identify. He was my great-uncle.

Thanks.

Janice

Hi Doug,

I'm very new to this and hope that I'm going about it 'the right way'.

I see you have very kindly offered to do 'lookups' - could I please ask if you'd do one for me?

I am trying to find out anything about my grandfather. I have details from the CWGC certificate but that is all. Is there any other information available?

I have

Private CHARLES DOYLE, 9155, 2nd Bn., Scots Guards who died on 12 January 1918. Sunken Road Cemetery, Fampoux.

I also have that

in 1915 he was in 3rd Bn., Scots Guards at Wellington Barracks, Westminster.

My father was only 2 years old when his father died and it seems that no information was ever passed on to him or documents kept. There are no remaining family members (that we know of) who can help us. My father is not in the best of health these days and I would love to be able to let him know some detail about his father whom he never knew.

Anything that you can add to this would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation

Regards

Doreen.

John William Morgan, RFA and RFA, Number 12253, Gunner, born in Marston in Yorks and enlisted in Scarborough, KIA 1/10/1916

Charles Doyle, Guardsman, Number 9155 born in Yarmouth and enlisted in london

you already ahve the rest, nothing on him in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour

Doreen welcome to the forum.

Doreen and Janice,as you can see here on the forum we all help each other, if you need anymore look ups just shout.

Regards Doug

Thanks very much for the information about my Great-Uncle, John William Morgan.

The CWGC didn't give enough information and I thought that the birthplace given on the 1901 census could be wrong because my Grandfather's is wrong so I was at a loss how to find more information about him. The only thing I know about him was that he lived in Scarborough.

How would I go about finding his next of kin?

I am grateful I discovered this forum.

Thanks for all the help.

Janice

How would I go about finding his next of kin?

Janice, if you are lucky, his service papers will be filed at the National Archives in Kew, and NOK usually appears on them.

Hi Doug,

Thanks ever so much for the info yesterday. I have today managed to sort out your suggestion. There's a lot of knowledgable people around - sincere thanks to you all.

Take care

Doreen. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest angloanglo

Hello Doug

I have traced four of my relatives who died in WW1 in the CWGC web site.

If at all possible could you trace any additional info?

Clixby CC

(I believe CC = Cyril Claude) If yes then this was the son of my Great Uncle.

York and Lancaster

12th Bn

Died 01/07/1916 : Battle of Albert, 1st > 13 Jul 1916

Service No: 12/1294

Queens Cemetery, Puisieux, France

Clixby F

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

14th. Bn

Died 15/03/1917 / Operation on the Ancre, 11 Jan > 13 Mar 1917.

Service No: S/40557

Son of Mr E Clixby, 6 Lewis St. Gainsborough, Lincs

Bay Military Cemetery, Somme, France

Clixby ED (Edward Denis)

Second Lieutenant

Lincolnshire Regiment

4th, Bn

Age 18Yrs

Died 13/10/1915

Son of Joseph Keyworth Clixby and Annabel Clixby, Limber House, Habrough, Lincs.

Loos Memorial, Panel 31 to 34

Clixby WH (William Herbert) This was the son of my Great Uncles second marriage.

Gunner

Royal Field Artillery

57th Bde. H.Q.

Age 24

Died 30/10/1916

Service No: 98968

Son of Mr FW(Frederick William) Clixby and Mrs BE (Betsy Ellen) Clixby (nee Naylor), Melton Rd, West Bridgeford, Notts.

Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta

I guess he was injured in Gallipoli and died whilst in hospital in Malta. But I don't know this for sure.

I appreciate anything at all that will help me fill in the gaps.

best regards

Richard Turner, son of Betty Clixby

Guest pritchard

:unsure: Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding out more information about my husband's great-grandfather Thomas Topping- South Staffordshire Regiment-WW1 he would've been approx. 34 at the time of death. Also Harry Topping-Lancashire Fusiliers-WW1 Harry was Thomas' brother and would've been approx. 24 at the time of his death. If anyone has any information, pictures, etc. for either of these gentleman I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you. :)

Cecil Charles Clixby, 12th Service (Sheffield) Bn, York and Lancashire regt, Born in St Marys in Sheffield and enlisted in Sheffield.

Fredrick Clixby died of wounds and enlisted in Gainsborough in Lincs.

William Herbert Clixby, 'died' in Malta. He was born and enlisted in Nottingham.

Clixby Edward Denis, 2nd Leutenant, 4th Battalion, 2nd son of Joseph Keyworth Clixby of Limber house, Harborough, Co. Lincoln, Farmer, by his wife, Ammabel. Daughter William Charles Roades, born Limber House aforesaid, 31 October 1896. Educated Berghamstead school where he was a member of the O.T.C. Volunteered for foreign service on the outbreak of the war and obtained a commission in the 4th Lincolnshire Regiment, 10 November 1914 being appointed machine gun officer to his battalion. Served with the expeditionary force in France and Flanders from early July 1915. Was reported wounded and missing after the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt 13 October following, and is now assumed to have been killed in action on that date. His adjedant wrote "He took part in an attack made on the 13th inst. and apparently lead his men with great gallantry and a brother officer. I know that on one occasion he went immediately to the rescue of another officer in a most dangerous position who was badly wounded." One of his men also wrote "he was a fine soldier and we shall not get another officer like him. He had a very great influence over us and was loved by every man." He was a good all round athlete and while at Berkhamstead was in the first cricket XI and football team in 1912, 1913 and 1914, winning the school bowling average in 1914, was in the Gymnasium VIII in 1913 and the boys singles in the north of England Lawn tennis tournament at Scarborough in 1913.

This data is from De Ruvigneys Roll of Honour. If you want I can post his picture.

There is a Topping in De Ruvingeys but not one of your men.

Tom Topping, Private No 41854,2nd Batt, SSR, born in Marsden in Yorks enlisted in Huddersfield while living in Marsden, died of wounds 26/12/17, formerly No 50653 of the North Staffs.

Harold Topping Private, No 53927, Lancashire Fusiliers, 16th bn, Born in Standish in Lancs, enlisted inWigan in Lancs while living in Standish, KIA 4/11/18 7 days before the end of the war.

museumtom

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Last one.

Last one.

post-16-1084033987.jpg

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I have just started researching a Captain C.J. Ellison of the Royal Garrison Artillery. I'm trying to find out his course of death. He is buried at a local churchyard to me and his date of death is 18/02/1919 so i guess he died of wounds. Can anyone tell me what unit he was with and where he might of got his wounds. Thanks for any help.

Regards

Mike

Richard

Follow the link for some excellent on-line information about the Sheffield City Battalion and the attack at Serre on July 1st 1916:

http://www.a.jackson.btinternet.co.uk/city.htm

Regards

Mark

Guest pritchard

Thank you MuseumTom for finding Tom and Harry for me, I truly appreciate your help, my husband will now know what happened to his great grand-dad. :) Thanks again.

Hi Doug

Could you possibly do a lookup for me please on 2 greatuncles? I don't know where they enlisted but do know the following:

Albert Franklin No. 203461 Pte. 1/4 Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment

KIA 9th October 1917 Ypres aged 20

William Leslie Jerram No. 269131 Pte. 1st/1st Hertfordshire Regiment

KIA 31st July 1917 St. Julien Aged 26

Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks