Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Field service cap

Guest Malcolm Giles

Guest Malcolm Giles

Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the 1905 stiff service cap and the 1922 Pattern. Or indeed if there are any differences at all!

Malcolm,

If your refering to the Service Dress Cap then there are fairly significant differences. The 1922 pattern was treated as a whole new pattern by the British Army. It was actually approved in Nov 1921.

The easiest way to tell is that the visor is much larger than the previous version which actually had been approved in 1912 (there is a pattern evolution from 1905 through 1912 with changes).

I've attached a picture of the 22 pattern cap. Note the large visor. Many of these are being sold on ebay as WWI period and they are not even if they have WWI dates which is commonly found.

Joe Sweeney

Guest Malcolm Giles
Malcolm,

If your refering to the Service Dress Cap then there are fairly significant differences. The 1922 pattern was treated as a whole new pattern by the British Army. It was actually approved in Nov 1921.

The easiest way to tell is that the visor is much larger than the previous version which actually had been approved in 1912 (there is a pattern evolution from 1905 through 1912 with changes).

I've attached a picture of the 22 pattern cap.  Note the large visor. Many of these are being sold on ebay as WWI period and they are not even if they have WWI dates which is commonly found.

Joe Sweeney

Hi Joe

I have been having this debate within re-enacting circles, because Territorial cap visors seem to scale up bigger in contemporary photos than their regular army equivalent. Would the Territorials have had a slightly different pattern before WW1?

Hi Joe

I have been having this debate within re-enacting circles, because Territorial cap visors seem to scale up bigger in contemporary photos than their regular army equivalent.  Would the Territorials have had a slightly different pattern before WW1?

The TF should have had the same SD cap as regulars, no special pattern.

However, I too have quite a few pre-war photos of the TF with caps that deviate from the norm. Most of my photos show caps with extremely flat visors.

The TF was supposed to adhere sealed patterns but did not in all cases. Since the TFA, from WO grants, bought all the uniforms that supplied the TF they could and did get SD unforms that did always adhere to the sealed patterns.

Joe Sweeney