Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum Superstars come to the North West

John_Hartley

The Branch welcomes WFA members and non-members alike to our November and December meetings when two of our Forum leading lights are speaking.

On 10 November, the boss himself will speaking. Chris' topic is "The Forgotten War - Economic Warfare".

And, on 8 December, the demon moderator is venturing north from her Northampton lair. Kate Wills will be speaking on "Pantomimes in Salonika".

Oh no she isn't. All together now. OH, YES SHE IS!

Meetings start at 8pm at The Armoury, Greek Street, Stockport. It'll cost you £2.50 - cheap at twice the price. Bar open before and after. Unfortunately, there is no wheelchair access to the meeting room.

The Armoury was the main drill hall for the 6th Cheshires and from where the battalion marched off on 9 August 1914. At the November meeting, we have a short remembrance service in the current drill hall, in front of the battalion's memorial.

Hope you can make it.

John

Guest Simon Bull

Notwithstanding that I can't stand pantos, I can recommend Kate's talk - delivered with some gusto and a good deal more light-hearted then the norm for WFA.

Simon, thankyou for your assessment.

I make no apologies for my own distate for modern pantos, and I believe no adult should attend without permission from a consenting child. During my stint working for the professional theatre, I was assured by management, with some justification, that my duties for the Christmas pantomime were amongst the most important I would undertake, as the annual panto introduced the next generation to theatre-going. Sad, is it not, they should rely on such dross to do the trick, but that is the prevailing philosophy. It is difficult to say if Edwardian pantomimes were considerably better, though they did not draw their casts from a pool of irritating has-beens and 'stars' from Eastenders. Additionally, virtually all the major pantomimes are now run by so-called-comedian Jim Davidson's company, which makes me groan all the more.

...and having set myself up as the Bad Fairy, I'll ready myself for boos and hisses in Manchester.

so you really do look like your avatar then?

Simon, thankyou for your assessment.

Additionally, virtually all the major pantomimes are now run by so-called-comedian Jim Davidson's company, which makes me groan all the more.

...and having set myself up as the Bad Fairy, I'll ready myself for boos and hisses in Manchester.

BOO HISS hiss

Having never seen Davidson in panto I am not qualified to comment on this aspect of his abilities, but I do feel I need to defend him.

After listening to him do a rendition of Kiplings 'Road to Mandalay' that left me speechless and very emotional and for the 'work' and support he does for the forces I will go to bat for him every time.

Arm