The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S. Wales Bord T.F. interest

Tim Brecknock

Hello,

my name is Tim, from mid Wales, and I have just joined the forum.

My interest is the Brecknockshire Battalion South Wales Borderers, the territorial battalion of the famous regiment.

I am a member of the OMRS (14 years) and have an extensive archive/medal collection on this subject.

Looking forward to contributing in due course.

Hwyl fawr!

Tim

Tim

Welcome to the Forum.

I hope that you'll find our community generally friendly and helpful and, no doubt, you'll have your contributions to make.

By the by, what is the OMRS?

John

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum, look forward to reading your contributions.

Andy

Welcome to the mad house!

happy hunting

regards

Arm

Tim

"Things" - medals, uniforms, armaments & wotnot. That sort of thing isnt my thing which is why I'd sort of guessed that the abbreviation must be something to do with it (as I didnt recognise it).

John

Hello Tim,

Glad to see you've made the transition over from the BMF. Hope you find much to interest and engage you.

Regards,

Matthew

Tim

Welcome to the Forum.

First query already!!!

Do you have any info. on Capt Philip Aubrey Hill. Originally commisioned into the Brecnockshire Battalion on 14.10.14 but later attached to 2nd SWB. died 23.4.17.

Any help appreciated.

Dave

Hi Tim and welcome,

I have an interest in the 2nd Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment and the 3rd V.B. S.W.B.

I am located in South Wales.

Regards

David

Welcome to the Forum Tim. I also have an interest in the Monmouthshire Regiment like Dave but the 3rd Battalion in particular.

If I can be of any help to you in your research please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Martyn

Thanks for the welcome folks!

I am in place called Ystradgynlais in south Powys, formerly Breconshire.

H coy of the Brecknock battalion(TF) South Wales Borderers were here from 1894.

I will have a look at the specfic questions and reply soon

Tim

Tim

My parents came from Ystalyfera and Cwmtwrch.

Just wondering, do you know what the main local newspaper would have been for your area in 1914-1918 ?

Myrtle

Ystalfyrea.(.my 90 yr old grandmother still lives there), and cwmtwrch (upper or lower?) are as you are awrae local to me.

I use the "llais llafur" (labour voice)as the local paper, but the swansea papers reported the areas as well..if i can help let me know

Tim

My great aunt lived in Ystalyfera but sadly she passed away last February. She was 100 years old. My father was from Upper Cwmtwrch but one of my mother's cousins lives in Lower.

Thanks for your offer of help. Don't put yourself out but would appreciate if you are looking through WW1 newspapers at any time and you see name Samuel Hamer mentioned, please let me know. He, my granfather's stepfather, is proving to be rather elusive. I would like to find out which regiment he served with.

Myrtle

Do you have any info. on Capt Philip Aubrey Hill. Originally commisioned into the Brecnockshire Battalion on 14.10.14 but later attached to 2nd SWB. died 23.4.17.

Dave

Dave

Info as requested

Regards Doug.

post-696-1129885412.jpg

post-696-1129885426.jpg