Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warilda, Donegal, and Lanfrac Mystery

Broznitsky

In researching a Canadian casualty, I learned from CWGC he is remembered on the Hollybrook Memorial, which is situated in Southampton (Hollybrook) Cemetery, next to Southampton General Hospital.

His date of death corresponds to the CWGC notation: HMTs Donegal and Warilda, ambulance transports torpedoed and sunk between Le Havre and Southampton on 17 April 1917.

However, searching the GWF leads me to: HS Lanfranc torpedoed between Harve & Southampton 17/4/17; HS Donegal torpedoed 17/4/1917; HS Warilda torpedoed in Channel 3/8/1918.

Can an expert devine whether the CWGC notation might have listed the Warilda in place of the Lanfranc?

Secondarily, what, if anything, is the difference between His Majesty's Transport (HMT) and HS (?)

Peter "I know nothing about ships" in Vancouver

In researching a Canadian casualty, I learned from CWGC he is remembered on the Hollybrook Memorial, which is situated in Southampton (Hollybrook) Cemetery, next to Southampton General Hospital.

His date of death corresponds to the CWGC notation:  HMTs Donegal and Warilda, ambulance transports torpedoed and sunk between Le Havre and Southampton on 17 April 1917.

However, searching the GWF leads me to:  HS Lanfranc torpedoed between Harve & Southampton 17/4/17; HS Donegal torpedoed 17/4/1917; HS Warilda torpedoed in Channel 3/8/1918.

Can an expert devine whether the CWGC notation might have listed the Warilda in place of the Lanfranc?

Secondarily, what, if anything, is the difference between His Majesty's Transport (HMT) and HS (?)

The LANFRANC (sunk 17/4/17) was a hospital ship and painted and illuminated in accordance with the Hague Convention. DONEGAL (sunk 17/4/17) and WARILDA (sunk 3/8/18) were employed as ambulance transports on the cross-channel route. They were not hospital ships under the Convention and were not painted as such nor illuminated. DONEGAL even carried a gun on her poop.

The use of HMT (His Majesty's Transport) with reference to DONEGAL and WARILDA may be incorrect.

Broznitsky,

Further to ionia's post I can confirm that the Donegal and Warilda were Hospital Transport ships (HMHT) and Lanfranc was a Hospital ship (HMHS).

Have a look at the thread Hospital Ship Sinkings, started 25 Sept 2005 for a discussion about Hospital Ships vs Hospital Transports.

Best wishes

David

ss DONEGAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

built by Caird & Company Greenock,

Yard No 303

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Propulsion: steam, triple expansion, 386 nhp, 13 knots

Built: 1904

Ship Type: Passenger Cargo Vessel

Tonnage: 1885 tons

Length: 331 feet

Breadth: 42.1 feet

Draught: 17.2 feet

Owner History:

Midland Railway Company

Remarks: Whilst serving as a hospital ship she was torpedoed by a U

boat 19 miles south of the Dean lightship. She sank quickly, taking 29 wounded soldiers and 11 of her crew.

ss WARILDA

built by Wm Beardmore & Company Dalmuir,

Yard No 505

Last Name: HMS WARILDA

Propulsion: steam 16 knots

Built: 1912

Ship Type: Passenger Cargo Vessel

Ship's Role: East-West Australian coastal trade

Tonnage: 7713 grt

Length: 412.2 feet

Breadth: 57 feet

Owner History:

Adelaide Steamship Company

Remarks: In 1915 she became a troopship and in 1916 a hospital ship for the Admiralty for duties between Southampton and Le Havre. Torpedoed and sunk by Uboat in English Channel with the loss of 123 lives

WARILDA_505.jpg

• 1 year later...
The LANFRANC (sunk 17/4/17) was a hospital ship and painted and illuminated in accordance with the Hague Convention. DONEGAL (sunk 17/4/17) and WARILDA (sunk 3/8/18) were employed as ambulance transports on the cross-channel route. They were not hospital ships under the Convention and were not painted as such nor illuminated. DONEGAL even carried a gun on her poop.

The use of HMT (His Majesty's Transport) with reference to DONEGAL and WARILDA may be incorrect.

I have in my collection an original fine ship portrait in oils on board showing the Lanfranc as a hospital ship. Interestingly enough an equal number of British AND German patients drowned when the ship sank.

John

(damned colonial)

JG et al

The Hollybrook Memorial records the vessels as:

HMT DONEGAL 22 military deaths listed on memorial plaques

HMT WARILDA 107

HMHS LANFRANC 15

From my freshly scribed notebook of 2 weeks ago.

Sotonmate

• 2 months later...

Broznitsky, and Co,

Just to record that I noted from a Wrecks Listing this morning that the submarine UC49, which sank the WARILDA on 3.8.1918,and also sank the TUSCAN PRINCE on 5.8.1918,was itself sunk by depth charges on 8.8.1918 in a concerted effort by HMS OPOSSUM and 7 MLs,4 miles SW of Berry Head.

Sotonmate

A section of the Hollybrook memorial. worth a visit if your in the area.

post-13272-1170697851.jpg

Montbrehain

It wasn't quite so smart as this when I visited in November,quite a few stones had been removed for renovation and it was a building site complete with plastic awnings over it. I understood from the Gatekeeper that re-carving and cleaning were in progress,and not all on site,but that it would be ready in time for a ceremony with South Africans in February 2007. I now think that this must refer to the MENDI Labour Corps casualties,drowned on 20 Feb 1917 off the South Coast,whose many names appear on several slabs here.

Sotonmate

from the south of Hampshire too !

I will try to attend that ceremony if I can find out exactly when its on . The African Names allways intrigued me , John 3675 , John 3022 , Whisky , Parrafin , Good Boy , etc etc . Hope they dont get all PC and change them at this late date ?? But it wouldnt surprise me ! I took that pic a few years back now . I do drop in there now and again when Im passing "MO"

Broznitsky, and Co,

Just to record that I noted from a Wrecks Listing this morning that the submarine UC49, which sank the WARILDA on 3.8.1918,and also sank the TUSCAN PRINCE on 5.8.1918,was itself sunk by depth charges on 8.8.1918 in a concerted effort by HMS OPOSSUM and 7 MLs,4 miles SW of Berry Head.

Sotonmate

SS Tuscan Prince was not sunk in the attack by UC49. She was torpedoed and holed when in the English Channel but managed to reach port and there were casualties. She was later wrecked off British Columbia in February 1923.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy

I will collect the various official references which were attached to the report seen in the Wrecks of British Waters (not the full title- I didn't write it down !) I was reading yesterday. I seem to remember that there was one from the Hydrographer of the RN with it's seabed co-ordinates and it's attitude and fore/aft bearing.

Maybe they got the name of the vessel wrong !

Sotonmate

On 5th August 1918 SS Tuscan Prince, defensively armed, 5,275 grt was torpedoed and damaged by U-boat UC 49, 8 miles W¾S from Dungeness but reached port. 2 of the the crew died.

Best wishes

David