Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gunner Cuff badge

PFF

I am sure someone has a better pic than this - enlarged from a pic of my grandfather - a lewis gunner. Now I come to look at it, it says MG. But he was a Lewis Gunner. I spoke to him about it.

post-3297-1129352175.jpg

MG is the [Maxim and Vickers] medium machine gunner First Class badge. Three types of machine gun badges existed from middle of war: L or Lewis, M or medium, H or hotchkiss. The badges exist as worsted [as illustration] or as brass. The brass varieties have several lettering styles [some may be commonwealth only] and some have wreath and lettering separate so a badge can be made up or indeed modified. Badges with separate letters used a back plate with several piercings.

Strictly speaking, after Vickers were withdrawn from the infantry and brigaded, MG badge should have disappeared from the battalions.

Hi

LG in Wreath

Lewis Gunner later light (machine) Gunner

Lower left arm

This was for 1st Class Lewis Gunners in the Regular Army when first introduced, replacing the MG previously worn by Lewis gunners

Hi

LG in Wreath

Lewis Gunner later light (machine) Gunner

Lower left arm

This was for 1st Class Lewis Gunners in the Regular Army when first introduced, replacing the MG previously worn by Lewis gunners

[images removed by moderator following request by the copyright owner]

Nice illustrations: I think I recognise them. I took the photographs, and wrote the book. have to say that these illustrations, and the book, are my copyright: if I use them, that is one thing, but anyone else needs written permission.

Please remove them. I will also draw moderators' attention: I am trying to sell the book, after all!

DE Langley, co-author.

Pals are reminded that 'fair usage' of other people's work is permitted under the copyright regulations but it is always advisable to seek permission to avoid problems.

The pics in this thread were removed out of courtesy to the copyright owner who has objected to their usage.

Pals are reminded that 'fair usage' of other people's work is permitted under the copyright regulations but it is always advisable to seek permission to avoid problems.

The pics in this thread were removed out of courtesy to the copyright owner who has objected to their usage.

Hi David

I am sorry for not asking and i do apologize

Attached are some images of MG and LG badges. I don't know but I suspect the blackened badges may be post WW1. Perhaps an expert may be able to shed some light on them. I have another LG badge, but I could not locate it to add to this listing at the moment. It is effectively the same as the one shown here, but it is made in two pieces and the letters are thinner and lighter. I hope that these images are adequate to give and idea of the design. The width of the brass LG badge is about 4.5cms by 3.5cms high; and both black badges are about 5cms wide and 3.5cms high.

post-6040-1129566015.jpg

post-6040-1129566063.jpg

The blackened ones are Australian pattern, and could be WW1.