Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme maps

Guest simon weller

Guest simon weller

Could anybody tell me what IGN Blue series maps (1/25,000) cover the area Bapaume to Carnoy (N to South) and Henencourt to Peronne (W to East) - is it 2408-O and 2407-O or others required ?

thanks - Simon

To cover Bapaume to Carnoy, you'll need 2407E (Bapaume) and 2408E (Bray sur Somme). Include the two that you mention and you've roughly got the 1916 Somme battlefield covered.

To get to Peronne, you'll also need 2508.

Dave.

It's a well-established British tradition, as noted by Field Marshal Slim in the section of his excellent book Unofficial History, (published by Cassell 1959), entitled 'Student's Interlude' (p104) and I quote,

'I have a theory that, whilst the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible way, they have invariably two common characteristics - they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets. This battle was to be no exception. The brigadier named four separate sheets of the one-inch map and you are to imagine half a dozen field officers in a restricted space, each trying to fit together four large squares of paper. Some seated themselves and tried to spread them over their knees, some to hold them against the wall. My colonel carpeted the floor with his and used them much as a devout Mohammedan uses his prayer mat. There was such a rustling, flapping and crackling, such an undertone of cursing, that we missed the paragraph of the order headed, Information, our own and enemy forces....'

Then, ust as the orders came to an end, there was a whirlwind and all the maps blew away!

Jack

Jack,

interesting update, just think; me and Slim with the same thoughts (great minds think alike) just that he was a bit more articulate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoying your book at present.

Simon,

I am more than likely stating the blindingly obvious but I Treasure my maps which do start to work out a bit on the expensive side when you get a few, so therefore I have photocopied (and enlarged) my Somme Maps which has allowed me to sellotape the key overlapping area's together, also it doesnt matter if they get wet/mistreated whilst out walking as you can leave the originals safely at home.(This was a Scottie Top Tip brought to you at no charge)

regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

Glad to hear that you are getting something out of the book. It was designed to shed a bit of light on an obscure area. Your reflections, once you have finished would be gratefully received. I hope to continue the process and will tweak my next effort in response to informed reaction.

Jack

Guest simon weller
To cover Bapaume to Carnoy, you'll need 2407E (Bapaume) and 2408E (Bray sur Somme). Include the two that you mention and you've roughly got the 1916 Somme battlefield covered.

Dave. Thanks for that. Ive now got all 4 and they look quite useful but they dont like updating them very much do they!?

Simon

they dont like updating them very much do they!?

Simon

Simon

Tell me about it. Two years ago on the Somme I discovered my Bapaume map (bought the week before at vast expense from Stanfords) was dated 1979.

Many of the main roads had been renumbered in the intervening period.

which was interesting...

:blink:

Mike

I try and order off their website, which tends to help a little:

http://www.ign.fr/

Steve

Steve

Do you know of a site for the Belgian equivalent? I could do with a couple more but not at UK prices.

Mike

Mike,

dont know if they do mail order but I recently had a spend up and purchased several good maps from the shop at The Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres (5.75 euros each),

The ones i have are IGN 1.20 000 Maps and were ideal for walking,

Map numbers;

28 1-2 which covers Poperinge & Leper

28 5-6 which covers Heuvelland & Mesen.

I assume by looking at the ones i have if you purchase maps 28 3-4 and 28 7-8 as well you will have covered nearly all the areas surrounding Ypres (Please dont quote me on that)

hope this helps (and hasn't totally confused you)

regards,

Scottie.