Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering a medal card

GJB

I've gat medal card for a Lewis G Palmer.

He is first listed as Pte. 18812 Beds Reg. & then Pte 200129 Labour corps.

I haven't seen Labour Corps listed before, are they the same as Army Service Corps? The story is that he had his trigger finger shot off on the WF, so this is probably why the change of unit.

Gary

PS. Also has a SWB list LC16 deleted from LC59, discarged 13/8/17. Does anyone have access to these rolls or have I got to pay a visit to the NA?

Hi Gary,

The ASC and the Labour Corps were different corps.

He would have been transfered to the Labour Corps as a result of wounds or sickness. Often this would not be sufficent enough to warrant a discharge. He would have been given other duties.

As for the SWB Rolls, you wil have to make a visit to the NA or ask a Pal to do it for you. Place a post in the I'm going to the NA section and request help.

Regards

PAUL J :)

I've got the medal card for a Lewis G Palmer.

He is first listed as Pte. 18812 Beds Reg. & then Pte 200129 Labour corps.

I haven't seen Labour Corps listed before, are they the same as Army Service Corps? The story is that he had his trigger finger shot off on the WF

PS. Also has a SWB list LC16 deleted from LC59, discarged 13/8/17. have I got to pay a visit to the NA?

The Labour Corps were usually composed of Men not in A1 health & many wounded & recovered Men were posted to them,if not fit enough to return to the Trenches,They did Manual Labouring Duties,not like the ASC,who were responsible for Supplies & Transport.

The SWB Rolls are @ the NA/PRO