Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ernest Stanley Sheridan

Terry Carter

Hello all,

I am trying to help a friend of my mother. They both attend a church afternoon club together.

This lady bought a Death Plaque to L/Cpl Ernest Stanley Sheridan from an Antiques Shop in Birmingham (no family connection to Sheridan, she felt sorry that a his plaque ended up in dealers window). Having checked the name on the CWGC website and Soldiers Died, I have come up with only one person with that name. See below.

I just wondered if any Manchester Pals experts might have any other info or even a picture of him. Soldiers Died says that he came from Salford.

Being an early casualty for this New Army battalion it may have been noted in the local Manchester press.

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

SHERIDAN, ERNEST STANLEY

Initials: E S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 18th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/02/1916

Service No: 20722

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Jane Sheridan; husband of Mary Isabel Sheridan, of 500, Liverpool Rd., Peel Green, Manchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 25.

Cemetery: SUZANNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Terry

There's something not right here.

I've had a look in my City Battalions Book of Honour and that service number is attributed to Pte M Sheridan who was with 19 Platoon, E Coy, 22nd Battalion.

No mention of E S Sheridan anywhere in the book.

Forum member Kingo has a full 18th War Diary and will, no doubt, respond to a PM askinghim to have a nosy for 8 February. Buried at Suzannne, he's almost certainly a KIA.

Roll of Honour in the Bn History confirms ES Sheridan KIA on 8/2 (no mention of the day in the History).

John

Hi Terry

20722 Pte E.S. Sheridan 18 Batt Manchester Regt K.I.A 8 2 16. hes on the Medal Roll for the 18 Batt. In the WD for the 7 Feb 1916 it says one man killed. on the 8 Feb one NCO killed and one man wounded.

Thanks for both replies.

If he is buried at Suzanne Com Cem, I imagine the 18th Manchesters would have been serving around Maricourt or the Bray sur Somme area.

Terry

Terry

From the Bn History, they were in Vaux on the 4th, but that's as close as I can get. Roy (monsstar) should be able to pin it down further.

Assuming that the City Battalions book has got his initial wrong (which now seems likely), then I assume that he will have been transferred between Bns when they were weeded out to reduce to 4 Coys.

John

Thanks again

It sounds like the Manchester Pals were in the same trenches that the Birmingham Battalions had the first trench experience attached to the 5th Division in December 1915.

I am visiting the Somme for a weekend soon and hopefully I will visit Suzanne Cem and pay my respects to E S Sheridan. I might be the only person who has ever visited the grave.

It was just a passing conversation that my mother had with this lady and she mentioned my interest in the Great War.

Cheers

Terry

Quite a few of my grandad's mates in 17/Manc buried there, as well.

Even after several visits to the area, I can still get very choked when I visit one of the graves, particularly when I've done some research. I think it is the knowledge of probably being the first to visit that does it.

John

Hi Terry & John

20722 Pte / L/Cpl E.S. Sheridan landed in Frence with the 18 Batt on 18 Nov 1915.

In Feb 1916 the Batt was at Vaux.

On the 4 Feb 5 men killed and 15 wounded to B coy.

On the 5 Feb 1 man wounded.

On the 6 Feb 1 man wounded.

On the 7 Feb 1 man Killed

On the 8 Feb 1 NCO Killed was this L/Cpl E.S. Sheridan. and 1 man wounded.

On the 11 Feb a German Rifle and a box of high explosive were find next to the wire at Moulin De Fargny trenches.

hiya folks,dont put to much faith in the book of honour,i have just completed a detailed record of all those in the 16th batt,and there are scores of errors,wrong initials,rank,numbers,names,you name it,bernard

terry,i think ernests father was a quartermaster at pembroke around the early 1900s,his brother was.

sgt james sheridan

12th man regt

died 2-3-16

husband of florence.83 bury st.pendleton,lancs

age 30

their mother was born in gibraltar,father born ireland

parents address

4 west clowes st

salford

he may have lost another brother but cant be certain

i will look through the evening chronicles around that period,hes from salford so he likely to be in those,and theres a good chance he will be mentioned,two brothers killed is big news around that period,bernard

Bernard, Monstar and John

Thanks again for the info. If i remember right, the Moulin de Fargny trenches were the extreme right of the British trench system on the Western Front. The other side of the Somme river and canal was were the French line began.

I will have to visit now. Apart from paying my respects to E S Sheridan it is the area the Birmingham Pals had their first tast of trench warfare and I have never been to the area before. Also the first Officer casualty from the Birmingham Pals is buried there. Lt E G Crisp from Evesham, who was killed on 16 Dec 1915. I have a photo of him shaking hands with the then Birmingham Lord Mayor (NEVILLE CHAMBERLAIN later the Prime Minister) on 20 November 1915, the day before the battalions embarked for France.

Cheers

Terry

post-66-1129452244.jpg

• 8 years later...
Guest Sheridan77

Hi my names michelle sheridan my granddads uncle is Earnest Stanley Sheridan. I've recently had my family tree given to me.. If I can be of any help pls let me know.

Thanks michelle.sheridan77@yahoo.com