Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Back fully at last

Malcolm

Just back on fully following four days getting rid of a Trojan virus which got past my firewall and Norton AV. Had to get a removal tool from Symantec and twiddle some settings! If I could find the person who devised/made/created the Virus I'd do a Corporal Jones with it on him/her!!

:angry:

Aye

Malcolm

Many haters of Nortons out there. It really clogs things up - make sure as well as the Anti-virus and Firewall you have Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

I have them and the first warning was a pop-up appearing about some gambling website. Pop-ups don't appear usually and then everything ssssslllllooooooowwwwwweeeeeeddddd ddddddoooooowwnn .

Ran Norton which informed me of a High Risk threat it could not remove followed by another window saying access denied to file. Had to download a removal tool from Symantec and run it

1. with no system restore

2 offline ( disconnect broadband)

3 in safe mode

after running the tool.

reboot to normal

run tool again.

if clean

restore ' system restore '

reconnect broadband

after third attempt it worked!

Went for a pub lunch to celebrate.

The nasty was Trojan.Vundo which invades ssttq.dll in Windows.

Aye

Malcolm

Just back on fully following four days getting rid of a Trojan virus which got past my  firewall and Norton AV. Had to get a removal tool from Symantec and twiddle some settings! If I could find the person who devised/made/created the Virus I'd do a Corporal Jones with it on him/her!!

:angry:

Aye

Malcolm

I also downloaded a trojan last year that took weeks to get rid of all the nasty files. How do you think it got in, Malcolm? Did you download a music file or a game perhaps?

Robbie

Robbie,

No, I didn't download anything that I know of. It may have been an email as I got a load of spam recently which I just deleted one by one. I may have inadvertantly activated one of them. More care in future!

Aye

Malcolm

Maybe someone is more knowleable on this.

My understanding is that you cannot get a virus by just opening an infected email and then deleting it. You have to click on something, anything, including a button that says things like unsubscribe or delete. If you do not click on something then you are safe.

Can someone confirm or deny?

Regds Bill

Bill,

You are correct. I must have inadvertently hit something.

I'll never know. Trojans are not the nastiest things around though, it could have been worse.

Aye

Malcolm

Welcome back Malcolm, good to see the Saltire flying again!

Rob