Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Capt Stewart Artists Rifles / R.F.C

MIDMED

Capt J Stewart, MBE. A territorial & veteran officer with 1st Scots Fusiliers, a member of the so-called Artists Rifles "First Fifty" seconded to R.F.C April 1917. March 1918 Acting Commandant Brooklands A.A.P.

Can anyone tell me what went on at Brooklands A.A.P .... ? what is A.A.P..?

Any Info on this Officer and Brooklands A.A,P would be much appreciated

Thanks

MIDMED

Not sure, It's aircraft ........... park . never heard of Army Aircraft park but im no expert on the RFC..

Thanks

Tom.....

Tom

AAP = Aircraft Acceptance Park, ie a unit where aeroplanes were delivered from the manufacturer and then checked to ensure that they were satisfactory in all respects.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

Great

Thanks Gareth.........

Tom

I think that I hadn't quite woken up when I wrote my earlier post. I should have mentioned that the unit was No 10 (Brooklands) Aircraft Acceptance Park, and that along with No 2 (Hendon), No 7 (Kenley) and No 8 (Lympne) AAPs, it was part of the RAF's South Eastern Area command.

Regards

Gareth

Again thanks Gareth

My man was also adjutant at Ascot repair depot May 1917, Asst Commandant, Lympne Sept 1917 which at this time was an (A.E.P) aircraft erection park .....?

Tom

• 1 year later...
Tom

AAP = Aircraft Acceptance Park, ie a unit where aeroplanes were delivered from the manufacturer and then checked to ensure that they were satisfactory in all respects.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

Can anyone tell me whether AAP (Aircraft Acceptance Park) is technically a man's unit? Is there some smaller unit (squadron?) to which AAP personnel would have been assigned?

Alan

Alan

An Aircraft Acceptance Park was an RFC/RAF unit, just like an Aeroplane Supply Depot or any of the other administrative and logistic units that ensured that aeroplanes and men reached the squadrons.

Regards

Gareth